Are CFLs really energy efficient?

Few days ago, I read an article that talked about the ill effects of incandescent light bulbs. So, I decided to replace them with CFLs only to discover that they do not work as efficiently as expected. To add to this I also discovered that it contains toxic substances like mercury and if broken should be handled with care. Totally confused!! Someone recommended that I replace CFLs with LEDs. Do you think it’s a better option?

• 2 weeks later...

For your first question, compact flourescent bulbs are in fact more energy efficient (theoretically speaking; different bulbs, different brand names, etc.), generally speaking, as unlike incandescent bulbs, much less heat is lost, as the reason that incandescent bulbs light up, is that their tungsten filament provides a great enough amount of resistance to induce a glowing in the filament, however this resistance also results in electrical energy, being released as excess heat, whereas fluorescent bulbs use noble gases (primarily neon) which when electricity excites these atoms, spurns them to emit a photon. (light particle) Based upon the gas used, the spectra and wavelength of the light will differ, but that is the basis. While fluorescent bulbs are more energy efficient, and have a longer life expectancy (as the excess heat of an incandescent bulb results eventually in the filament "burning out"), they have been recieving a rather large amount of criticism due to the fact that they contain harmful mercury vapour which is very difficult to safely dispose of afterwards. L.E. D.'s however I'm not so familiar with, and that, I suppose is a question, someone more experienced can answer. Hope this helps!

LED-s are more efficient. Almost no heat loss, energy consumption is lower as well.

Also no toxic gases (LED= light emitting diode, you can see those everywhere around you)

Only downside this far has been its directed light, newer models emit light everywhere around them self + powerful led bulbs are still slightly expensive.

Like this on: http://www.led1.de/shop/product_info.php?pName=solarox-highpower-led-bulb-warmwhite-with-cree-xre-e27-p-1163&cName=highpower-p4xre-led-spots-c-168

• 3 weeks later...

On the topic of energy efficient lighting, when it comes to the CFLs, does the energy used to actually make the light bulb outweigh the energy saved during operation as compared to making and using an incandescent bulb?

On the topic of energy efficient lighting, when it comes to the CFLs, does the energy used to actually make the light bulb outweigh the energy saved during operation as compared to making and using an incandescent bulb?

My guess would be yes, from a simple economics analysis. The cost of the product is going to be a combination of labor, parts and energy. A CFL costs a few dollars more than an incandescent bulb, and even if that's all due to energy costs, the savings over the life of the bulb is much more. If electricity is $0.10 per kWh, you can save the cost difference of the bulb in about 1000 hours of use, i.e. in a year at 3 hours per day.

Also consider that CFLs can last 3 times as long (if you deploy them in the right areas, e.g. where they are normally left on for a period of time) so you really need to compare the cost of 2 or 3 incandescent bulbs.

Few days ago, I read an article that talked about the ill effects of incandescent light bulbs. So, I decided to replace them with CFLs only to discover that they do not work as efficiently as expected. To add to this I also discovered that it contains toxic substances like mercury and if broken should be handled with care. Totally confused!!

Well, they are indeed more efficient. Remember that if you get electricity from coal, that also releases mercury. Also, there are some CFLs that do not have mercury.

Someone recommended that I replace CFLs with LEDs. Do you think it’s a better option?

I think LEDs will be a better option in the not so distant future. But LEDs require low voltage DC current, and the converter will give you a lot of inefficiency. Added to the high price of LEDs, that makes it rather impractical. LEDs are the best there is for flashlights though.

There is some mercury (as well as other toxic elements and also radioactive elements) contained in coal. Some of it is released when burned, and some escapes as ash or vapor. Some elements (like sulfur) are cleaned from the effluents. I think most of it ends up as piles of ash though, but due to the sheer enormous amount of coal burned, the amount that escapes is impressive.