1. 1. We will see in our lifetime (multiple votes enabled):

• Longer Average Lifespan (100+ Years)
    • Mars Colonization
    • Teleportation
    • Designer Babies
    • Fusion Power Plants
    • Einstein's Demise
    • Nuclear War

I'd say the average lifespan is by far the most likely. I wouldn't be surprised if the twenty somethings of today live half a millenium. The least likely is colonization of mars. Outpost yes, quite soon, but i can't see proper colonization happening in my lifetime evan if i do live 500 years. o thats exluding teleportation, which'll probably remain a fantasy for some million odd years yet.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it involved sending making a copy of the human and then destroying the origanal i don't count that, proper teleportation has got to involving moving the origanal, not making a copy and then destroying the origanal.

What do you consider to be moving the original?

If it's "turning atoms into energy then recombining the energy into atoms again", then that is a process of duplication and destruction.

Unless of course you can suggest a way to tag every "bit" of energy so that it is recreated as the 'correct' component of the 'correct' atom in the 'correct' place.

hmm... maybe brealong the human up into atoms, and then sending them across to the other side, and then reform it. But, that, again would be duplication and destruction.

Maybe we could move humans to another time frame for a split second and return him back to ours. Like what the X-men did in the cartoon with that blue guy in X-men 2 :eek:

I'd say the average lifespan is by far the most likely. I wouldn't be surprised if the twenty somethings of today live half a millenium.

I'm sure many will, but only due to advanced techniques that are not available to the majority of the world's population.

Remember the poll option is higher average lifespan, not higher peak lifespan.

• 1 month later...

re +100 average life span: whilsts we may live a healthy life, due to advanced medicine, i doubt that we will actually increase our average age because that would mean slowing down ageing, which is unlikely in my opinion.

Mars Colonization: unlikely, we cant even fly there [manned] it will be a long long time before we ever go there, and even then, we will not colonize it, it's deolate, hardly any water [its all microscopic, the bits which you hear about in the news] and the oxygen levels are too low.

Teleportation: we've already seen it, just on a small scale, its only a mater of time before we teleport bigger things.

Designer Babies: we could do this a while ago, just havent due to biomedical ethic problems,

Fusion Power Plants: with new power sources being needed, it is likely that this will come through as a good way to produce a lot of energy.

Einstein's Demise: the least likely, as the poll shows, because, it just is!

Nuclear War: if two advanced countries [i.e. not 3rd world countries] nukes will be used, thats modern warfare for you!

• 8 months later...

I read that teleportation had already been achieved in germany somewhere. I think it was a newscientist magazine article.

Look it up :)

Longer Average Lifespan? Possibly :P Check out mcdonalds and stuff, healthier food! Better medicines! + cloning for new organs n stuff

Mars Colonization - Why bother? dont think so. then again I intend on living for a long time

Teleportation-done.

Designer Babies-I'm living proof of that, I'm perfect :P

Nuclear War - hahah america, yes. (plz dont shoot me, I'm just a lil kid)

Thats what I think, but then agian, I'm 15.

I'll probably live a lot longer than you :P heheh.

I only think three things from that list.

-Nuclear war

-Fusion power plants

-Designer babys

Colonization on mars will take alot longer then my lifetime that is even if it ever happens. This whole 100+ lifespan is total hype even if we can continue to improve our medicine we will be riddled with cancer from the 'nuclear war' I predicted. Teleportation, well if were talking photons then yes, but in the 'beam me up scotty' sort of way then i don't think thats going to happen.

~Scott

Before any of the other choices materialize, we will have a variation of nuclear war. A nuclear detonation will take place in a civilized and free country, killing thousands, and will be delivered by an uncivilized country somewhere in the middle east.

Whether the free country will retaliate in kind, is unknown but I think the detonation will occur in my lifetime. Sad....

Bettina

Before any of the other choices materialize, we will have a variation of nuclear war. A nuclear detonation will take place in a civilized and free country, killing thousands, and will be delivered by an uncivilized country somewhere in the middle east.

Do you realise that the only country to use nukes in a war is the same country that says who can have them? I'd be more worried about the US using nukes then some 'uncivilised' country that hasn't the capacity to wage a full scale nuclear war.

Whether the free country will retaliate in kind, is unknown

It is blatenly obvious that the 'free country' your talking about is the US. Is unknown? come on now that is wishful thinking.

~Scott

#10 Designer babies .

Designed to be smarter aye ?

Yes maybe better looking .

But smarter than Einstein ?

So if a kid was made smarter than their parents I would have to wonder what kind of job the parents had in order to pay for it .

Do you realise that the only country to use nukes in a war is the same country that says who can have them? I'd be more worried about the US using nukes then some 'uncivilised' country that hasn't the capacity to wage a full scale nuclear war.

I wasn't speaking of the uncivilised middle east countrys waging a full scale nuclear war. I was referring to uncivilized religious fanatics detonating a nuclear weapon like a "dirty bomb" on a civilized country. That is the real danger, much less than the US using nukes. I am not worried about North Korea because though not free, they are still civilized. However, I am really worried about Iran. They are uncivilized, overly religious, fanatical, unlikely to be converted to civility, and will nuke us for just looking crosseyed at the Quran.

It is blatenly obvious that the 'free country' your talking about is the US. Is unknown? come on now that is wishful thinking.~Scott

I was not being blatent. By my profile, you can see where I come from. I have nothing to hide. But I do read the news.

Bettina

I've said it before, designer babies is a general term. Selecting specific genetic traits, even if it is just those dealing with disease, it is considered "designing". Personally, I thought it would be a good idea for parents to prevent their offsprings' early demise, or suffering; but a friend of mine brought up the arguement "If everyone was healthy through that plan, then there would be more people, and we're just about full." I can't really disagree with her, but from a parent's perspective I'm sure it's one of the most difficult things to hear that your child has a terminal disease.

Other than designer babies, I said longer lifespan. So much is being done now for longevity that it might become a factor in genetic modification of offspring.

I'd love to see some clean fusion plants making things more efficient.

And I hope that the world never reduces it's intelligence to nuclear exchange. (Not that I wounldnt mind giving North Korea a good kick in the ass.)

Who the hell are you to decide who is civilised and who isnt

Vladimir, criticizing without explanation is not helping me understand. What is it about my opinion that is wrong. Where is my mistake?

Bettina