1. 1. We will see in our lifetime (multiple votes enabled):

• Longer Average Lifespan (100+ Years)
    • Mars Colonization
    • Teleportation
    • Designer Babies
    • Fusion Power Plants
    • Einstein's Demise
    • Nuclear War

actualy, if they DID do that, then it`s quite possible as a result that ALL the other items in the poll would be possible in ones lifetime by default :)

a working TOKAMAK reactor would be excellent though! I recon most of us will see that done, maybe not on a grand scale, but certainly ONE prototype made to work :)

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Designer Babies: Many of you have expressed this as the best possibility of the choices. Are we really that close to being able to manipulate a babies DNA to whatever characteristics the whims of the parents decide?

We have the technology to do a lot of funky things. What we lack is the will and conviction as a society.

For instance you could have flourescent skin as the ultimate fashion accessory. We CAN do that now. However the laws regarding human trials, human rights protests and what have you tend to get in the way.

probably alot more than we realise!

and the motivation amongst some is certainly there, and the money to make it happen isn`t lacking either. screening for many illnesses is already done as a natural course, it wouldn`t take much to keep adding yet another test and another... and by extension make courses of action available as a result.

It sounds crazy, but I wouldn't be surprised if the first people to become "clinically immortal" i.e. they don't age, could be alive today, assuming they don't get into a fatal accident. Ageing is really just a combination of diseases and eventual wear and tear on the body I thought; a result of toxins and conditions on the body... and those toxins can be removed and those conditions controlled, those diseases eventually cured. If that's not possible within our lifetime, I'll bet human cloning is (which isn't on the list for some reason ;)), and assuming you don't have qualms about it you could get a clone of your body made (minus the brain, if they could do that) and get your brain transplanted into. After that clone's lifespan, medical technology would probably have advanced to the point of clinical immortality. Maybe I'm skimping on the details I don't know, but I thought that this was the general idea coming from the medical community.

If it's the case then maybe everything on the list we could see in our lifetime. :P

Have a Guess :)

I can see teleportation coming true in 2100, cold fusion about 2045, designer babies 2030, einsteins demise very soon 2015 maybe, longer lifespan 2040, mars colonization 2035, nuclear war 10,191 (as in Dune[/i']).

I remeber reading somewhere that cold fussion was the electrolysis of deuterium or tritium dioxide (heavy water), it almost sounded convincing, but was proven to be in error, pity really, cold fusion (if at all possible) would be a great way to go! especialy for space exploration where small but powerfull electricity generators would be needed as space and weight are at a premium for that sort of mission. and think of all the good for 3`rd world countries! no bulky solar arrays to pump water :)

Errr... I'm not sure Blike meant the demise of Einstein himself. I'd always assumed he meant Relativity being falsified.

Well, at first it was the detection of gravitons, then in post #3 he changed it to "Theory of Everything", so I've always assumed it had to do with the fact that Einstein worked on the Theory of Everything but never aceived success. I thought finding the unifying theory is along the lines of what blike meant, although I don't know how this would be Einstein's downfall.

yeah the average lifespan 4 UK is about 80, but its being dragged down by all of the recent illegal immigrants... that might seem anti-imigrant, but its true!

what exactly is a fusion generator, or a better q. how does it work inside?

Average lifespan around the world is around double what it was 200 years ago. It is now around 65 for men and 70 for women.

Japanese women are currently the likeliest to live long lives, on average reaching 84.6 years of age.

Japanese men are the second longest male survivors, reaching an average age of 77.6 years old.

The British rank well down the list. Men come in at 14th in the world table, living to an average age of 75 while women are in 18th place, living on average to 79.9.

In France, there is a big difference between men and women's life expectancy.

Men came 16th in the world table, with an average lifespan of 74.9, with French women in fourth place with a life expectancy of 82.4 years.

Two years old but probably not changed much since then.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/1977733.stm