Making new biology discoveries

goldwing24

Eh, it's kinda hard to know without a LOT of knowledge of the field, but every so often, these odd little gaps pop up, often centered around a weird organism that nobody's bothered to study some aspect of. Like how nobody knows how sirens (a weird, primitive salamander) breed.

Also, don't be afraid to look up faculty in your area of interest at a local college - I've had dedicated HS students working with me who were more reliable and were a bigger help than the juniors and seniors in college.

Well, it takes a lot of work to discover something. For instance, I'm recognized in the scientific community as an expert in snake locomotion, in large part because the entire field consists of less than a dozen active researchers and there are a LOT of gaps in our knowledge, but it still took me about 5 years of constant work (often 60-70 hours a week) to reach that point. In a field where it's a bit more crowded, like molecular biology, it may take decades to become 'known for something', and plenty of faculty never really even reach that level after a 40-year career.

It's also worth noting that there's no shortcuts. I'm working on a project now that someone *technically* did before, but they did it so badly that I'm going to be able to repeat it and snag all the credit. And these were full faculty members who did it, too.

The most important thing is *why* you're doing it. If you just want to be known for something, you've got better odds in pro sports. If you aren't doing science because it's what you absolutely *love*, you'll never make it through grad school and all the study you need.

well I plan on being a vet and I love biology. I have many plants, fish, a turtle, and shrimp. The problem is that a large amount of people do the same that I do. Like you said I guess it will take a while if I do something great in this field.

Don't rush too much, and be patient. I know there've been plenty of times when I've been impatient over how long it'll take for me to even finish school, but then I look back and remember feeling the same way when I had much further to come.

As they say in Zen, "The journey of a thousand miles starts with a single step."