Worm Holes & Black Holes.

MysteriBoi

Ok first of all i want to know wether Black and Worm Holes exist.

Iv'e read other's saying it's true and others saying it's not.

Is there any proof that shows Black and Worm holes exist?

All i know about Black hole's is that it sucks basically anything in its way, travelling faster than the speed of light can't outrun this phenomenon.

On the otherhand, Wormholes is you can travel through space and time (shortcut), like traveling from galaxies to galaxies.

Any suggestions?

If you go to the bottom of this page you will see a list of threads which the forum has identified as being closely related to this topic. If those do not answer your questions there is always the search function.

Ok Blackholes do exist, but if there might be a chance that wormholes do exist as well, how you think will the travelling to it be? like, once we enter we travel faster than light or something? also iv'e heared that we can't go through (if it exists) since we are going to be travelling so fast we will be shredded into pieces. Questions round my mind.

Wormholes are theoretical, but concern connecting previously unconnected spacetime, or shortening the distance between two points. For example, take a sheet of paper and write two dots on it. Now bend the paper so the dots touch. You can now travel between the points much quicker, despite you not moving any faster. Someone who sees you travel through the wormhole might say you moved faster than the speed of light, but you wouldn't be moving any faster locally than at any other time.

I think that real wormholes are also more likely to shred you to pieces than help you travel through spacetime in one piece.

but wouldnt wormholes only be possible with a thin surface like space thats bent in some way or another? or else the wormholes couldnt connect. or possibly seperate universes seperated by non space and connected by wormholes.

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged

ive also read about the thought of traveling through wormholes at an angle, and you wouldnt be ripped apart. though this could just be sci-fi.

There was an article on wormholes in Scientific American several years back. They stated that 'natural' wormholes would be so small that not even a photon could pass through - hence conserving the laws prohibiting travel faster than light. They also said that, in theory, to build a wormhole large enough to pass a man, you would need vast amounts of 'negative energy'. This negative energy is purely theoretical. It has never been proved to exist, and humanity has no way to make or collect it. Sad.....

Oh i see, thanks for the info. mate, one more thing, if its possible to go through a wormhole and succeed travelling to another galaxy, will there be a way back or once we enter the same wormhole in the other side we are taken to another galaxy? nevertheless it will take loads of years till you find your way back if possible?

ya, ive read about the same speculation, and, well, i think that its either you can go right back into the wormhole and end up back were you started, if the wormhole is in classic shape. but then again, it could be something with 3 or even more branches of into seperate parts of space. who knows?

ive read that it could just lead you to other parts of other universes too, and it might just be me, but i dont see how.

I also heard that a specific wormhole has loads of branches depending on where it is, but i don't see how this is, for example if a wormhole is close to us and we travel to it and it contains branches to different galaxies, will a wormhole in another place also have the same branches?

It's possible though that a wormhole might have only one passage way back.

Oh ok, but how do you actually work on it? like what do they do trying to make it a fact?

You start with some assumptions/tested theories, and you do lots of maths, lots and lots of maths... This will give you some predictions, which are quantitative, you then conduct an experiment to test these predictions, if your predictions are within the errors of the experiment you have some good evidence you are correct.

Oh i see, so if someone managed to make this thoery a fact, what he/she can use it for?

Can it be used to solve wormhole theories?

It could be used to unify (hopefully) general relativity (GR) and quantum mechanics, which means at the points where GR currently breaks down we could model what happens. This applies to blackholes and therefore would also apply to wormholes.

Reality check.

Work on quantum gravity, wormholes, superstring etc is all no more than blowing bubbles, until and unless someone comes up with a testable hypothesis, which is then tested and not disproved. Even then, it just makes stronger bubbles. It takes many, many tests, and many many failures to disprove an idea, even obtained from maths or computer models, before it gains enough strength to be considered a fair to reasonable scientific model of reality.

To get to the point of being accepted as a model so strong that it is close to considered true - well that takes decades and enormous amounts of work. Einstein's principles of general and special relativity are in this position, and are still being tested with the aim of disproving them.

To get to the point where an idea is considered to be 'correct' takes something very, very special. The Atomic Principle, and the Principle of Biological Evolution now are so strongly backed by good evidence that we can pretty much call them 'proved'. But that takes masses of evidence.

If you want to work on quantum gravity, be prepared for the enormous frustration that comes from never knowing whether what you are working on actually has any merit or not.