ALUMINUM WIRES - ehh...I'm clueless; click here?

bearnybear

I'm doing an experiment with aluminum wires, and when I put them in saltwater, they starting growing these orangish blobs. Then, in regular water, they looked darker in some parts. In air, obviously nothing happened. Can anyone explain what the heck happened with the wires in saltwater because I'm clueless right now? :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged

P.S. Could the salt have clumped together in the water to create those orange blobs?

P.P.S. I used sea salt to make the saltwater solution, by the way.

Are pictures available? Was there any current running through the wires? Were the wires touching any dissimilar metals?

Offhand, Id say galvanic corossion to aluminum hydroxide and iron contamination making the orange color, but I'd need to know more first.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Friend ,

Here i suggest one my exmple,,

This done up to a 9-volt battery to do this. It was great, until the 9-volt started to die nd I had to replace the relatively expensive bastard multiple times. Then i realized that I could simply chop off the end of an old phone charger and strip the coating off the ends. This was also great until about an hour later when the submerged wires had completely disappeared! This hadn't happened at all with 9-volts. Are there wires I can buy which would be more resistant or should I get the electricity from a different source?