RESVERATROL -- Miracle drug ? Safe for Everyone ?

Phase 3 studies being conducted by Harvard Medical school on this medication. We all know it increased the life span of Mice by 30 %. Due to the fact that this can be obtained by food supplement such as Red wine, there are many Vitamin suppliers that distribute this medication already. Drinking Red wine is Not advisable due to the fact that you have to drink massive amounts. Many Vitamin companies have doses up to 300-2000mg pills. FDA is not regulating this at the moment.

There are some reports of side effects such as Joint pain, dry skin etc. I am in healthcare myself and am a believer. Preliminary reports from Harvard medical school looks really good so far. but i am worried about possible side effects. Anytime you start taking medication where Studies are not complete, you run the risk of possible irreversable side effects. Has anyone have unwanted side effects from this supplements ?

I've not taken it myself, nor do I think any other human has yet (since they are still testing in mice). However, those results have been very positive across many biological spectrums in decreasing age related health issues.

60 Minutes did a story on it recently. Worth the watch for a quick ~12-minute overview of the topic being raised here in the thread:

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=4752354n

I've not taken it myself, nor do I think any other human has yet (since they are still testing in mice). However, those results have been very positive across many biological spectrums in decreasing age related health issues.

60 Minutes did a story on it recently. Worth the watch for a quick ~12-minute overview of the topic being raised here in the thread:

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=4752354n

I know tons of people buying this from Vitamin companies already. and they claim that they feel GREAT. Whatever that means. but they are already reporting some side effects though nothing real serious such as Joint Pain, some stomach upset, some drug interactions and so on.

Do you have anything specific about what your friends are buying at these vitamin stores? My guess is that you and I are talking about different things. The story to which I linked is only a month old, and stated clearly that the compound is still in development and trial phase.

I suspect that your friends getting these side effects are using something related, but different to what I'm thinking about. Obviously, without more information, I cannot be certain.

Also, I wonder what work has been done to isolate these "side effects" to this specific substance they've been taking (if it is, in fact, the same substance described in my 60 Minute link), and not some other vitamin in their regimen.

Do you have anything specific about what your friends are buying at these vitamin stores? My guess is that you and I are talking about different things. The story to which I linked is only a month old, and stated clearly that the compound is still in development and trial phase.

I suspect that your friends getting these side effects are using something related, but different to what I'm thinking about. Obviously, without more information, I cannot be certain.

Also, I wonder what work has been done to isolate these "side effects" to this specific substance they've been taking (if it is, in fact, the same substance described in my 60 Minute link), and not some other vitamin in their regimen.

No, it is definitely same thing. go to Revgenetics company and they are already selling it. Difference is this. It is not as Pure as what they are testing at Harvard medical school. but it is pretty darn close. 98-99% pure. They are able to do this cause the compound is extracted from RED wine, which is commonly available. and the chemical compound from it is common knowledge.

http://www.imminst.org/forum/index.php?showforum=312

I'm going to suggest that the impurities you reference must be accounted for when discussing side effects. Also, aren't the folks at Harvard synthesizing the chemical, as opposed to extracting it?

I ask mainly because extraction means you extract other chemicals. It's more than just "evaporating some red wine," it's instead ensuring that we ingest only the chemical which confers the benefit.

I really don't know, though. I'd have to see more specific data, not just some posts from people on an internet forum. :)

I don't think that it qualifies as a drug. Isn't it an anti-oxidant? While there may be health benefits, I think the vast majority of the benefits of eating foods with antioxidants are the foods with the antioxidants, not necessarily the antioxidants themselves. Just eat healthy, and don't overdo the supplements if you do take them.

^^^NO. this is real drug. No anti-oxidant. Harvard medical school is doing the study right now. It has direct effects on the DNA itself. Repairing DNA sequences. Mice lived 30 % longer. that is about 20-30 years longer while being healthier and acting younger in human terms. It is nothing short of amazing.

AFAIK its effect on oxidative stress might be an indirect as it (IIRC) increases the production of superoxide dismutase. Or at least this is one of the actions that have been discussed, as its effects have not been elucidated in detail yet. But the life-extending effect appears to be closely linked to reducing the deleterious effects of high-fat diets.

And it is indeed already available as supplements (it is a simple phytoalexin after all) in low dosages. But as it has a low bioavailability (most of it will be secreted from your body) it is unlikely to have any in vivo effects in that form.

Also there are a number of papers out there that actually challenge any life extending effects (I only recall the first author: it was Pearson 2008).

So in any case it is most likely not a miracle drug.

AFAIK its effect on oxidative stress might be an indirect as it (IIRC) increases the production of superoxide dismutase. Or at least this is one of the actions that have been discussed, as its effects have not been elucidated in detail yet. But the life-extending effect appears to be closely linked to reducing the deleterious effects of high-fat diets.

And it is indeed already available as supplements (it is a simple phytoalexin after all) in low dosages. But as it has a low bioavailability (most of it will be secreted from your body) it is unlikely to have any in vivo effects in that form.

Also there are a number of papers out there that actually challenge any life extending effects (I only recall the first author: it was Pearson 2008).

So in any case it is most likely not a miracle drug.

^^^According to Harvard medical school, you will be living til you are 120 years old and that will be a common place.

Most of the research on resveratrol has been on laboratory animals, and very little on humans. The list of products that work well on mice and are useless in humans is very long. Until it is proven, it may not be a good idea to megadose on something that might be useless and have long term side effects.

As stated, the amount in red wine is too small to have much impact. Most of the resveratrol pills on the market are actually herbal pills, and may be highly variable, both in resveratrol content and amounts of other, potentially harmful impurities.

I think the smart thing to do is sit back, and wait for longer term results. If it is as good as it is touted, these results will not be long coming. At that stage, standardised resveratrol pills will become available without the potentially nasty impurities, and the proper dose will be known.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...