Extracting NaClO3

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the best way I`ve found is to heat each ingredient slowly over a long time seperately to drive off any residual moisture and THEN mix them, theres less chance of tar acids or ion carriers to trigger an "unexpected" :)

speaking of drinking things, if you're ever nitrating glycerin and you go into cardiac arrest, consume some of your product. sure, you'll get a massive headache and you won't feel your limbs for awhile, and you could just die from lack of O2 flowing throughout your body, but hey, it could work.

NG`s perfectly safe and predictable

say that to all the poor factory workers that got blown up before nobel realized that putting wood chips in the NG(l) would stabilize it.

speaking of drinking things, if you're ever nitrating glycerin and you go into cardiac arrest, consume some of your product. sure, you'll get a massive headache and you won't feel your limbs for awhile, and you could just die from lack of O2 flowing throughout your body, but hey, it could work.

Personally I'd recommend finding the nearest phone and calling the emergency services :)

(plus I'd think the chances of anyone having a heart attack whilst nitrating glycerin would be fairly small)

say that to all the poor factory workers that got blown up before nobel realized that putting wood chips in the NG(l) would stabilize it.

the factory conditions and means of transport left alot to be desired back then, it was nothing to do with the nature of NG, it was everything to do with how it was mistreated.

ok, best way to get your sodium chlorate. mix a bit of NaOCl with NaHSO4, and then pas the ensuing gas through your drano.....mainly NaOH. When a rough Ph of 7 is achieved, heat the liquid to boiling and then cool. It will throw off a nice crop of NaClO3. Repeat the last step three or four times. By the way, what are you planning on doing with it? "SPRENGEL" comes to mind....

just my own private experimentation. how could i obtain NaHSO4, and furthermore, how could i obtain NaOCl?

NaOCl is ordinary chlorox toilet bleach, the cheap stuff with no gells and scents and colorants etc...

NaHSO4 as a product to buy I have no idea, I get mine as a by product of making Nitric acid.

I can`t be 100% sure here but I seem to rem something about it being used in photography though?

yeah. it was HCl(g). in fact, when i opened the container, it released HCl(g). the solution was saturated from 25 years of slow evaporation of H2O.

anyway, in response to yt's post:

I get mine as a by product of making Nitric acid.

too bad i don't have the right equipment to trap the HNO3(g) because i may have considered trying that. plus, my parents are allowing me to use my lab downstairs only as long as i don't synthesize any deadly gases:\

to add to that, i can't find a nitrate source anyway; even at gardening stores all i could find was fertilizers containing K2O, P2O5 and some other nitrogen source (i forgot) but it had no O in it.

in fact, it's impossible to find anything interesting around here; perhaps it's because i live about a mile away from a nuclear r&d lab.

Hmmm.. that sounds like a general purpose plant food, maybe 30-15-15 or similar.

you`de have a hard time trying to split that :(

the best you`ll make with it is "touch paper" a sort of primative fuse.

sorry dude, it`s no good for your requirements :(

Hey, How would you go about making NaClO3 from NaOCl and NaCl in Aqueous solution? I saw an article saying that you could boil them together... and it would make NaClO3... im a bit skeptical bout that so can neone tell me how that workz? or can neone tell me a way i can get NaClO3 easily without this NaHSO4 stuff... looked up the MSDS and itz pretty dangerous... oh well...

reply bakz

you know, safety matches are nothing more than a small ammount of chlorate and clay.

unrue, they do indeed contain potassium Chlorate, but also dextrin and Sulpher (as a sesquisulphide of phosphorus) there is no "CLAY" involved :)