Obscured radiation physics related to nuclear power

Styrge

Both unstable and over twenty neutrons disappear in every product scenario. Fission produces also three doughter nuclides every now and then, with even lower neutron/proton ratio.

Repeating this doesn't make it true.

A typical fission would produce something like Kr-92 + Ba-142, which leaves you two neutrons left over.

These minorities are good to point out.

Pointing out is one thing. Representing them as typical is another.

I didn't know delayed neutrons are counted in. Any source for this? Fritz Kahn had this number 5 in his book. (Couldn't find english title, something like Der Natur). There I think the delayed ones could be part of, on top of spallation. This launched the idea to reconcider what's going on in nuclear reactor.

Without context, I don't know what he was referring to.

Good try but different energies exist all the time and only that matters is how much of converts from a form to another. Also scale is too small (the nucleus itself is 10^-14m), should be Å.

Yes, the nucleus is about 10^-14m, which is why I chose that number for the separation. Fission is described by the liquid drop model, so the lobes will actually be further apart than that. But the electrostatic energy is the primary source of the energy released in fission. You can't get more out than that, and simple conservation of momentum will tell you that the bulk of the energy has to go into the kinetic energy of the two fission products.

How much escapes in the form of radiation to be exact. Neutrinos are sure to get out and they receive 5% of the energy. Then comes gamma and neutrons which are not much held by the reactor. I have to check the amount. It totals at least to 5% of the reactor power. And good point with the efficiency thing: 30% electricity, 60% heat, 10% radiation. And this would give the rule of thumb that a reactor releases radiation 1/3 from the amount of electricity. Sounds better?

So you have 5% of the energy released as radiation. Which is why you have all that shielding, which reduces it by several orders of magnitude. And whatever does escape the shielding is attenuated by 1/r^2 from the geometry of the situation.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After a month of searching I couldn't find Der Natur in English. So here is Finnish version, but you can see the point underlined: uranium fission produces 5 neutrons and so produces the depicted chain reaction in bomb conditions:

ketjureaktio_Kahn.jpg

Meanwhile I made an international version of my revolutionary ionization measurement video: