PH question

David2010

Ok I am a sophomore in high school and we are working with a PH project.

I have found enough information but I am kinda baffled at the formula and I cant ask the teacher for help. :-/

What would be the formula for measuring the PH (Acidity or basicity) of different solutes?

And could you please explain it so somebody like me could understand it. xD

I am terribly sorry if this is in the wrong section.

pH = Log10 [H+]

That means that pH 7 has 10x10^-7 protons per mole of solution, where as pH 8 would have 10x10^-8 which is 10x less, it is a log 10 scale, not a linear one.

Corrected: pH = -log10[H+]

I'm not quite sure what the OP is asking?

Ok I am a sophomore in high school and we are working with a PH project.

I have found enough information but I am kinda baffled at the formula and I cant ask the teacher for help. :-/

What would be the formula for measuring the PH (Acidity or basicity) of different solutes?

And could you please explain it so somebody like me could understand it. xD

I am terribly sorry if this is in the wrong section.

hi,

I will give the example how to calc pH.

NaHCO3 + CH3COOH → CH3CO2Na + H2O + CO2 (gas)

in the titration(note that this is pH titration not volumetric) of weak acid and a weak base a titration curve with no equivalence point is obtained so pH at endpoint is difficult to determine, the way out is to titrate the vinegar against a strong base and the baking soda against a strong acid .you would only get pH7 if u were using a strong acid (HCl) and a strong base (NaOH). if u were doing a titration of weak acid(acetic acid) and a strong base (NaOH) then the resulting pH is easy to determine.