Moon and nails

kleinwolf

Reference?

The original nutty part of this idea dates back at least to Pliny the Elder, but there are recent studies that show that estrogen increases/decreases (pick your favorite direction) hair growth in some cases, in some species.

There are many types of hair (otherwise we older men wouldn't lose that on our heads while sprouting whole rainforests in our ears!) and one can just about find any result one wants, provided there is a research grant available.

The original nutty part of this idea dates back at least to Pliny the Elder, but there are recent studies that show that estrogen increases/decreases (pick your favorite direction) hair growth in some cases, in some species.

How does this have anything to do with the phase of the moon. And again, instead of "recent studies that show" or "experimentally seen" or it's widely known, how about an actual reference or two?

When I Googled on it, they were all new age, religious superstition or astrology links.

It's widespread that moon phase influence the speed of nails (or hair) growing size...(experimentally seen)...but has someone an explanation of this ?

Can you show where this is experimentally seen? As far as I know, it's as valid as the "widespread" thought that moon cycles have anything to do with ER 'rush' (which is proven to be bunk).

I'd love to see where this is proven before we estimate why this is so.

Well that makes it unproven, doesn't it?

I am very doubtful it's a true statement, to be honest.. and if it's not, then the question in the OP is a bit meaningless, tht's why I'm wondering if there's any sort of substantiation to it.

How does this have anything to do with the phase of the moon. And again, instead of "recent studies that show" or "experimentally seen" or it's widely known, how about an actual reference or two?

When I Googled on it, they were all new age, religious superstition or astrology links.

Here's one. I found several on my first Google page.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15591132

But, I'm not gonna tell you what estrogen and the lunar cycle have in common; you'll have to figure it out.

Here's one. I found several on my first Google page.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15591132

But, I'm not gonna tell you what estrogen and the lunar cycle have in common; you'll have to figure it out.

It's the purported estrogen-lunar connection that's in question here. So no, I'm not going to to figure that out. The burden of proof is on whoever thinks there is a connection.