About Dos

albertlee

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quite; but there's nothing wrong with pointing out alternative methods for learning the things he wants to learn about.

Quite; I never said there were problems with pointing out additional methods, I just said that he has to decide. ;)

Posts dont express feeling very well....

Can any one tell me is there any more about Dos[/i'] than just its commands?

'Commands' is pretty much it as far as DOS goes. It's just a disc operating system; the commands usually have plenty of optional subcommands but that's about it.

What did you have in mind, if not commands?

Well Sayonara^3, What I think is more about how does Dos work.....Sounds a bit too vague...........like how does its commands work as a whole, about the structure of Dos, and maybe its file types (like bat, sys, exe, com, etc...)

Any way....I cannot find a proper sentence to express what I think, just How does Dos work?

Apreciate

Albert

Ok.......... :confused:

For Windows Xp, can any one tell me the procedure of how computer goes from hardware to the OS that is, the XP?

Does computer first go to Dos, then Dos goes to Xp ,right?

Albert

Not really.

All operating systems of whatever type have some kind of kernel to deal with memory management/process handling/hardware interaction. As far as I'm aware, DOS just sits on top of this kernel. XP doesn't use dos at all, it just interacts with the kernel.

(I think).

Does computer first go to Dos' date=' then Dos goes to Xp ,right?

Albert[/quote']

No, thats what we are trying to explain, it just goes straight to XP. Dos simply doesn't exist. They include a Dos emulator for compaitibility reasons only. Dos serves absolutly NO purpose as far as the operation of the computer.

Ok, so since windows xp is graphical userinterfaces.......how do we go to its text only interfaces? like for Macintosh, it has a Unix as its kernel&Shell, hence you can use Unix commands in text only interfaces......

Albert

Not every operating system has to have a text-only interface. Before Mac OS X (which was based from the BSD kernel and hence has the text interface), there was no terminal interface for the OS. XP provides a DOS emulation mode as Aegir said, but there's no "real" text interface for xp.

For Windows Xp, can any one tell me the procedure of how computer goes from hardware to the OS that is, the XP?

One step in this process is the Hardware Abstraction Layer (HAL). Google returns plenty of info about this.

Autoexec.bat does not exist on a vanilla build of Windows XP.

If your not convinced whether DOS exists on Windows XP/2K then try and make a DOS boot disk from it.

This is a link to a bit more info from Technet:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/using/productdoc/en/default.asp?url=/WINDOWSXP/home/using/productdoc/en/choosing_between_NTFS_FAT_and_FAT32.asp

and here's a thread in another forum that covers a bit more:

http://www.webdesignforums.net/showthread.php?t=11136

• 2 weeks later...

windows xp does actually have accessible dos, you go to the start menu, click run, and type in cmd.

from there if you type: help

it tells you about all sorts of different commands that one can use in that particular version of dos.

also by typing the command eg. dir

and adding /? it tells you about the command so:

dir /?

will tell you about the dir command,

however by typing help you will not display ALL of the commands that your version of dos will use, the most common example is the edit command.

type: edit *D:\Game.nfo*

this would edit the Game.nfo file on your D drive

other than that i dont actually know of any books on dos, but try searching google.

do use the help command, it is how i learnt how to use dos, its very useful

well, in the case of Windows 98, let's say, dos is and can be considered it's own OS.

therefore if you have any, you can run many programs w/o ever loading or installing windows on the computer.

the dos-emulation - aka. command prompt in Windows XP or 2000, is not and can not do any of the above mentioned things.

but 4 XP if u run safe mode, that is like dos, and safe mode is 4 if windows has crashed, like when my windows XP crashed, i had to use a boot disk to access my HD 2 rescue data before re-installing windows, but luckily it turned out that i didnt loose any data! so isnt that like using DOS as an OS?