HELP please - Internet Explorer 6 Problems

cheungcheung

You know what I try with those sites?

Using a competing service :D

Only problem with that is the only IE only site I know of is windows update... which isnt exactly somthing you can find an alternative for. (I will shoot anyone who even thinks of saying linux)

Only problem with that is the only IE only site I know of is windows update... which isnt exactly somthing you can find an alternative for. (I will shoot anyone who even thinks of saying linux)

True, but that's because of business reasons rather than lazy design.

The critical update alerter for your system tray can make it less important to check the web site so frequently.

I agree myIE2 has neat features but it fills the computer with spam and it tends to get stuck too often.

I hate microsoft' date=' but IE just does the job for now.[/quote']

Microsoft once sent a virus and several loads of spyware into my computer.There was no way I could fix it and had to format.Im fairly sure it was microsoft, if not it bypassed all my antispyware and antivirus programs.Completely disabled.

I am serious, downloaded all the windows updates the night before.Then the next time I restarted it was done for.Probably because they didnt like me not using a proper CD key for windows XP (shh).When I looked at the adwares I had all fo them showed Microsoft for adress.Same with my virus.Then after I got my computer back none of the programs (except for windows) that were made by microsoft didnt work.Even my IE.I dont think it was all a coincidence.

Microsoft don't care if you paid for the license or not. They only make serious money off corporate licensing - anything else, and they aren't bothered because you're using THEIR product.

In fact they even recently announced that the next service pack for Windows XP will be available to illegal users of the software, because contrary to common belief they aren't actually a company without any brains.

LINUX LINUX LINUX :D

Here's an alternative browser, works with pretty much all the websites i've every tryed except for that microsoft pos update(but that's not needed in linux) and those blasted shockwave only websites, but still......

Lynx. Nice and super fast webbrowser in Linux.

Microsoft don't care if you paid for the license or not. They only make serious money off corporate licensing - anything else' date=' and they aren't bothered because you're using THEIR product.

In fact they even recently announced that the next service pack for Windows XP will be available to illegal users of the software, because contrary to common belief they aren't actually a company without any brains.[/quote']

Could you please explain to me the advantage to encouranging pirating by allowing illegal users to update their systems ?

I doubt they're going around saying "hey, everyone who's got a pirated version of xp, come and use windows update!!", but conversely, I doubt they're gonna go and spend millions of dollars trying to stop people using it because the majority of their profits don't come from the home users, but those people who have rather large site licenses (e.g. governments, universities, etc).

Could you please explain to me the advantage to encouranging pirating by allowing illegal users to update their systems ?

1) The majority of those users are going to be voluntarily tying themselves to Microsoft's increasingly proprietary architecture.

2) While their market share is not as big as it could be, their actual share is bigger than it should be. More Windows users means more people trying to swap win32 documents, which encourages users to use similar systems - i.e. install at least 1 version of windows.

3) With the immense flak Microsoft have got recently for the security holes in Windows (that often don't just let badness happen, but assist the badness), they need to be seen to be taking a line that helps the situation. The thrust of their recent announcement was "it's far more important unlicensed users get patched than it is that we get our personal use license fee".

As much as I'm not a fan of microsoft, one should only watch how much money they've done and how much of a monopoly they are right now to make a logical conclusion that they're not STUPID.

I don't LIKE them being a monopoly, but its really (for them, I'm sure you'll agree) a very smart thing to be.

~moo