Time Zone Math Help Please

chrisman10

Okay. This what I have to. I just want you to explain it to me once so i can do the rest myself thank you.

1. If it was 1500 in Thunder Bay Ontario, what time would it be in St.John?

I know its very easy. Please explain and tell me how you got the answer. I guess you have to be Canadian to answer this lol.

Thanks

When you move westward, the sun sets later, so their "evening" time starts later than the "evening time" on the east. Likewise, the sun rises earlier when you move eastward, so their "morning time" is earlier/sooner than those west of them.

So, they have time zones. Basically, 7AM represents when the sun rises. Go over one time zone to the west, and they call that same time 6AM... one hour earlier. The (rough) idea is that the sun will rise there in another hour.

So, first, you ask yourself "In what time zone is Thunder Bay?" Once you know that, you must find out "In what time zone is St. John?"

If St.John is west of Thunder Bay, you subtract 1 hour for every time zone you cross.

If St. John is east of Thunder Bay, then you add 1 hour for every time zone you cross.

Does this help you answer your question?

standardzones.jpg

When you move westward, the sun sets later, so their "evening" time starts later than the "evening time" on the east. Likewise, the sun rises earlier when you move eastward, so their "morning time" is earlier/sooner than those west of them.

So, they have time zones. Basically, 7AM represents when the sun rises. Go over one time zone to the west, and they call that same time 6AM... one hour earlier. The (rough) idea is that the sun will rise there in another hour.

So, first, you ask yourself "In what time zone is Thunder Bay?" Once you know that, you must find out "In what time zone is St. John?"

If St.John is west of Thunder Bay, you subtract 1 hour for every time zone you cross.

If St. John is east of Thunder Bay, then you add 1 hour for every time zone you cross.

Does this help you answer your question?

standardzones.jpg

the last part of your answer is wrong. You are assuming that every time zone is exactly one hour different from the next. that is simply not true. Newfoundland is 3:30 behind GMT, whereas labrador is 4:00 behind. There are some areas in the world where time zones differ have 15 minute or 30 minute differences.

here is a good time zone map

I'm confused, then. I take it from your response that either:

a) Canada uses these 15 or 30 minute intervals with their time zones, despite the fact that it appears otherwise in the maps, or

b) St. John is not in Canada, and is across some time zone boundary that uses non-one-hour differences.

Can you clarify? I'm happy to admit being wrong, I just want to understand why so I don't do it again.

neither of those is true. Time zones are not all one hour different from each other.

Canada uses mostly time zones which ARE one hour different. PST, MST, CST, EST and AST are all one hour apart, but NST is a half hour different to AST, and 3:30 different to UST.

As for St John, I'm assuming you mean either Saint John in new brunswick, which is on AST, or St John's in newfoundland, which is on NST.

Good to know. Thanks, Hermann.

Chris - Please note the correction. If you cross over from the NST border to the AST side (or from AST to NST), you'll add/subtract half an hour instead of one full hour.

I swear, you Canadiens and your hockey playing, Molson drinking zaniness. I just don't get you, aiye. ;)

Good to know. Thanks, Hermann.

Chris - Please note the correction. If you cross over from the NST border to the AST side (or from AST to NST), you'll add/subtract half an hour instead of one full hour.

I swear, you Canadiens and your hockey playing, Molson drinking zaniness. I just don't get you, aiye. ;)

I'm english originally, but been living in canada for 2 years and newfoundland for 1 year. Not sure what that makes me... But canada isnt the only place to do half-hour time zones and as i said before, some places even do 20 minutes

• 1 year later...