what is a black hole?

jamey2k9

What time is it inside a black hole? .. If time changes does to gravitational effects, could the time be either 0 or infinite?

Inside the black hole is stuff that we will never observe (if what we know about black holes is correct), so it is really hard to tell if our guesses about what might be inside are in fact correct.

What time is it inside a black hole? .. If time changes does to gravitational effects, could the time be either 0 or infinite?

A black hole could have the mass of the Earth or millions of stars. A black hole with the mass of Earth would have a similar gravity as Earth. And I would think a similar time dilation. I have a feeling that stopping time is like reaching the speed of light. You will never quite get there.

A black hole could have the mass of the Earth or millions of stars. A black hole with the mass of Earth would have a similar gravity as Earth.

But only if we were the same distance away from the black hole as we are from the center of the Earth now, right?

But only if we were the same distance away from the black hole as we are from the center of the Earth now, right?

Someone please correct me if I am wrong but I would guess that gravity 4000 miles from the black hole would be similar to gravity at the earths surface. A new set of rules apply as you get closer to the black hole. Going towards the center of the earth your weight would decrease and getting closer to the black hole your weight woud increase. All bets off when you get close to the black hole. Again, corrections welcome if needed. :)

Edit -

I love it when I am right. finally :)

http://amazing-space.stsci.edu/resources/explorations/blackholes/teacher/sciencebackground.html#5

Edited by NowThatWeKnow