What is the hardest language to learn?

devrimci_kürt

Hindi....i have always just passes it!

Oh really? I've actually heard it was pretty easy, though admittedly I've never tried to learn it.

I've heard from lots of people that Icelandic is the hardest language to learn, but it's really just a matter of perception. If someone from Sweden wanted to learn Icelandic, it would be a hell of a lot easier than the same situation for someone from China.

Mandarin Chinese is the hardest language I've ever attempted to learn. Memorizing characters alone is extremely tedious, and since there is no alphabetical order, looking things up in dictionaries is a huge pain. In a sense, though, it's one of the easier languages grammatically, in that there's no conjugation or declension.

My favorite language will always be German. :D

Oh really? I've actually heard it was pretty easy,

Though i belong to India and Hindi is its national language but i have never ever been able to score more that 6-7 marks out of 10 in it! I'm a lot fluent in speaking Hindi but when it come on writing i hate it! The spelling are worst to identify!

English,Greek,Urdu & Portuguese are much much simpler ;)

i've heard that english is hard, with all the stuff like 'there their they're' and so on.

not to mention read and read, lead and lead and nobody really knows whats going on with cabbage, weirdest word we have.

i suppose glaswegian could be considered harder as although it is engilsh(of a sort) it is best pronounced when you are too drunk to stand up let alone remember what your supposed to be saying. although i suppose by then the 'drunk interpretation' reflex comes in and you can instantly understand anybody in any language. then again, the usually translates everything to 'fancy a kebab?' and 'more drinks please'

Not speaking from experience - rather from what I've heard. I thought that if you already speak more than one western language, then learning another isn't too dificault. Likewise, if you speak an Asian language then picking up another isn't supposed to be too hard. It gets difficault, apparently, for a westerner to learn chinease or japanease and vica versa. Can anyone support this?

It gets difficult, apparently, for a westerner to learn chinease or japanease and vica versa. Can anyone support this?

Really depends on the person. I'm a native english speaker who studied french in school and college, and am now studying some chinese. I like it, and find it rather straight forward and logical. For example, there is a character/word for "meal," then to make the word for breakfast, you just add the character for "morning" in front of it, for "lunch," you just add the character/word for "mid-day" in front of it, then for "dinner," you just add the character for "evening."

So, morning meal, mid-day meal, evening meal... and all I need to know to figure things out is the character/word for "meal" and the character/word for different parts of the day. Once I have those, I can usually work my way toward a proper definition (as opposed to just memorizing words like breakfast, lunch, and dinner).

It's like that for a lot of things, and having a background in data management and relational databases I find it very simple. The challenge is primarily memorizing the characters and training the ear to pick up on minor tonal differences, but the understanding part (for me, anyway) is rather simple.

I believe Womenish is as tough as it gets :)

i agree;)

1. The most important thing for a woman is financial security.

2. Although this is so important, they still go out and buy expensive clothes and stuff.

3. Although they always buy expensive clothes, they never have something to wear.

4. Although they never have something to wear, they always dress beautifully.

5. Although they always dress beautifully, their clothes are always just "an old rag".

6. Although their clothes are always "just an old rag", they still expect you to compliment them.

7. Although they expect you to compliment them, when you do, they don't believe you.

haha..

Understanding Manish is pretty easy. "I'm hungry." Translation: "I'm hungry." When we don't say what we mean, women know exactly what we mean: "I feel like dancing!" Translation: "I'm horny." "So, you had a hard day at work. Would you like a backrub?" Translation: "I'm horny." "Nice dress!" Translation: "Nice cleavage! That makes me so horny!"

The difference between Manish and Womanish starts at a young age. Example: A mother of all boys hears "MEOOW! bang crash thump" come from upstairs. She yells at her sons, "What was that?" The boys say "We just threw the cat down the laundry chute. It was cool." A mother of all girls hears "MEOOW! bang crash thump" come from upstairs. She yells at her daughters, "What was that?" The girls say "Nothing."

"Nothing" can mean nothing, or everything. "What's wrong, honey?" "Nothing". That nothing might mean "Nothing, really. I had a hard day at work. But if I ask you for a backrub you'll want to have sex and I had too hard a day at work to even think about sex." Or it might mean "Nothing, really. But why do you ask? Is something wrong? Should I be worried? Should something be wrong? Have you been cheating on me?" And of course it might mean "Everything, you dumb dolt. Our relationship is going down the toilet. We really need to talk."

i agree to the poster who says language of maths is probably the hardest to learn( whoever he was...no offence mate). We are doing quantum mechanics theses days and apparently you have to decribe everything with "mathematical" language. but i thought russian is definately difficult to learn with the weird symbols, cant tell its a statement in russian or a list of symbols arranged in a horizontal line.