TI-83+ Programming

Guest Juparis

Guest Juparis

Three main questions in BASIC programming for the TI-83+..

1. How can you prevent other people from editing your program? I've heard people say that it's in the programming, and I've also heard you had to buy a special format. Can anyone answer this question truthfully?

2. Is it possible to change a program's name? The program I want to change was originally a test, but has become amazingly huge, and is out of the test phaze, so I need to know if there is an alternative to typing in the loads of programming.

3. How can you make a loop, or at least a path, for a certain character. I know about the For( loop, but if I want something to circle the screen, for example, how would I be able to execute that?

Thanks for all and any help!

The only one I think I can help with is #2. The simplist way I've found is to first create a new program with the desired name. Then, while editing it, hit the program button and move over to "EXEC". From their select the program you made before. Under the first line of text in your new program should be the comand to run the old program.

Alright, a better way would be:

1) Create a new program with desired title

2) Start to edit the program and under the first line of text hit [2nd] and [RCL]

3) Hit program

4) Go to EXEC

5) Hit the program you want. At the bottom of the screen it should now say RCL prgm"*".

6) Hit enter and it should copy the old program into your new one.

This comes with the added bonus of being able to delete the old one. Hope this helps a little.

Guest Juparis

Hmm, I tried that, but nothing happened. I suppose I could just do it the old way and copy everything manually--it would be longer, but I guess I could add more space to edit where I need it... Thanks anyway!

Still no clue on those other two? I found one way to imitate a real loop, but the coding gets extremely long because you have to enter a code over and over and over to get a moving effect..

And, for some that have this, a game that has that no-edit option would be Joke, or Nibbles. I'm still baffled at how to get that... :confused:

Well, u need to get one of these --- http://education.ti.com/us/product/accessory/connectivity/features/cables.html ---- With this u can change the name of the program, write protect it, and u can program much easier through ur computer. It's been a long while since I used my TI. http://www.ticalc.org --- this site is the best, the original, and u will find many programs of use. Once u buy ur $20 link (USB2 -> Computer) then u should be unlimited to what u can do.

Guest Juparis

jordan--I meant your method of copying a program failed, but that's alright. I'm also finding an alternate way to "animate" some characters.

Pogo--Thanks for the help! When you say "write protect," that will keep others from editing my program, correct? that's my main priority since several of my previous programs have been spread under various other names...

Might not necessarily stop them from editing them. BASIC is an interpreted language (along the similar lines of something like PHP), so it needs the source file to be in a text format for the program to actually work. I don't know whether there's any way of encrypting the program to make it "read-protected", so to speak.

Guest Juparis

Ok, I guess that's alright. But have you heard of Nibbles or the Joke program? They use basic and are "read-protected" at the same time...

soo.... any clue otherwise how that might be accomplished?