Superbowl Thread - Steelers or Cardinals?

ParanoiA

Who will win Superbowl XLIII?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Who will win Superbowl XLIII?

• Pittsburgh Steelers
    • Arizona Cardinals
    • Tie (in case McNabb frequents this forum incognito)

I don't know what the deal is with scientists and sports, but I haven't seen a superbowl thread and I'm not entirely sure I should have started one...

So, for those who care and dare to record your pick, who do you think is going to win? Pittsburgh or Arizona?

All of the talk seems to be about Arizona's impressive offense against Pittsburgh's number one defense. Certainly Troy Polamalu is going to be exciting to watch against Fitzgerald (assuming that's the matchup). A select minority, myself included, think the decision maker in the game is going to be Pittsburgh's offense against Arizona's defense.

However, I've learned to expect the unexpected in the superbowl.

I'm thinking it will be Arizona. They have a certain momentum, and I get this sense from them like the "whole is greater than the sum of its parts."

I was pretty upset when Eli choked and the Giants were no longer in the mix, and since then have been watching the red birds and found them to be impressive. They look pretty good, but so does Pitt. I think (hope) it will be a good game, but I'm going to say Cards all the way. 32-21

I also just bought myself a 12 pack of Newcastle during lunch today and I'm heading to the store in a few hours for nachos and mozzarella sticks. I'm ready. :D

I was a Dallas fan as a kid, so I wouldn't mind seeing the Cardinals win.

But, reason tells me:

Take defense over offense in general.

Pittsburgh's weakness(offense) is better than the Card's(defense)

Pittsburgh has been more consistent

I would predict a blowout, but Pitt isn't that kind of team.

Pitt 31 Cards 17

I do believe that one of those two will win the Superbowl. I will be rooting for the Cards, since they are the underdog, but the main hope is that the outcome is in doubt into the 4th quarter. That's been the case about half the games this past decade, which is an improvement over the regular blowouts of the first 3+ decades.

Polamalu won't be covering Fitzgerald, as such. He's a safety, not a corner.

I was pretty upset when Eli choked and the Giants were no longer in the mix, and since then have been watching the red birds and found them to be impressive.

Yeah, it's kind of strange, I actually hated the Giants for ruining the Pats run at perfection but then found myself quietly pulling for them throughout this season, and was finally dissappointed when they lost in the playoffs. I'm all mixed up and confused inside....

But' date=' reason tells me:

Take defense over offense in general.

Pittsburgh's weakness(offense) is better than the Card's(defense)

Pittsburgh has been more consistent[/quote']

That doesn't sound like a bad formula. I, however, always fuse who I want to win with who I think will win, which is why I'm generally wrong. In keeping with that tradition, I like coach Mike Tomlin (it's a Tony Dungee thing, I'm really impressed with his approach to coaching and subsequent success), so I want to see Pittsburgh take it.

Polamalu won't be covering Fitzgerald, as such. He's a safety, not a corner.

There are some who predict he will practically be a corner on Fitzgerald. Regardless, I'm confident they will clash downfield and it will be exciting to watch. Although, Polamalu was reported to have said he's not sure what exactly to do with Fitzgerald. Sounds like fun.

Wait, we're talking about football? Who cares?

So far, about 5 of us. And that's more than I thought would care about such shallow, mindless physical competitions. ;)

Wait, we're talking about football? Who cares?

I would care were we talking the real game of football. Unfortunately, we are talking about some silly sport where physically unfit but physically large men wear massive amounts of pansy equipment to mitigate injuries; where action occurs at best intermittently between TV timeouts for $100,000 per second commercials and instant (hah!) replays; and where, were it not for cheerleaders, steroids, and marching bands (sex, drugs, and rock 'n' roll), this would not be *the* American sport.

I'd rather take my wife to a chick flick.

oohh that's a BURN! Like to a chick flick is horrible dude, the cheerleaders are the best part!

I've been checking out the Cardinals though, I think they should win as I've never seen them do ANYTHING that looks like winning, and it's exciting for them to be doing something this year.

Judging by past experience, where I've been right 1/10 times, where I won a dollar, Steelers will probably take it.. but I vote for AZ!

I know chick flicks are terrible. They're a penance one must endure on occasion (lest you want to spend the night in the doghouse). For example, penance for forcing your wife to watch the Superbowl.

I don't have to suffer that penance. I'm taking my wife to see Taken (or maybe Gran Torino) tomorrow evening.

And, indeed, the Steelers took it. What a great game. Close all the way to the final seconds. My take is that Kurt Warner lost it for Arizona, as they did everything right, but Warner kept screwing up big at bad times. With that said, the Steelers came up with some really big plays when it counted.

Anyhow, Pittsburg becomes the first team ever to win 6 super bowls. It was a good game, and my nachos were fantastic. Even the girlfriend thought so. :D

And, indeed, the Steelers took it. What a great game. Close all the way to the final seconds. My take is that Kurt Warner lost it for Arizona, as they did everything right, but Warner kept screwing up big at bad times. With that said, the Steelers came up with some really big plays when it counted.

There were lots of blown opportunities by the Cards. All those penalties, a dropped pick, the inability of their team to tackle Harrison before he was done running 100 yards.

There were lots of blown opportunities by the Cards. All those penalties, a dropped pick, the inability of their team to tackle Harrison before he was done running 100 yards.

Not to mention driving the field before half-time and throwing that interception to Harrison on the goal line. That's one of Warners key mistakes to which I alluded above. Also, their defense got super lucky after they got the roughing penalty on the field goal attempt Pitt was making... where they ran into the holder (or was it the kicker? doesn't matter)... I can't believe they held the goal line twice for all of those downs. They shot themselves in the foot repeatedly, though, with stupid penalties as you mentioned.

It was a good game. I seriously thought they were going to pull it off at the end. They finally remembered they had this amazing receiver named Fitzgerald and started throwing to him.... something they should have been doing the whole game... and (whatdya know?) he kept scoring. The problem was, he was SO good at scoring that he did so with too much time left on the clock and Pitt drove it in when they got the ball back... and Arizona couldn't freakin' tackle before the 8 yard line to hold them to a field goal and force an OT.

Anyway, my nachos were really good. ;)

Your nachos were fantastic, too? :confused:

:D

Sorry I'm late,

Heck yeah dude, my Nachos were also fantastic. I too had second party witness, but not a girlfriend, so I guess not as effective....plus the nachos were just spare parts made from the tacos.

:doh: