ethylalcohol solid or gel

nuwagaba

hi

i'm seeking to know how i can make ethylalcohol gel

want to find how to make some small cash aside

have gone as far as mixing ethanol with calcium acetate but the gel did not form

i'm looking at making big quantities (and quality)

please.

• 1 month later...

If you dissolve 2% Stearic acid in Etanol by heating and then add a concentrated solution of Stociometric amounts of NaOH you will form Soap making a firm mass upon cooling. If you substitute some or all of the NaOH with KOH you might get a more napalm like consistency.

(None of this is eatable if you don't like eating soap and corrosive chemicals)

<3 >>>_@/"

This is the second time this week that I have answered this question .

What is going on with Sterno that I don't know about?

I don't think that you are going to get rich but here you go.........

All you need is chalk, vinegar and alcohol.

Or if you have already made your first fortune chicken farming, you might have enough egg shells lying around to use them instead of chalk.

Make Your Own Gelled Alcohol Fuel - Canned Heat

Extreme do it yourselfers can make their own gelled fuel at home with by mixing alcohol and calcium acetate (C4H6CaO4).

The following instructions and measurements are from the Montville High School Science Departmental.

1. Add 25g of crushed chalk or egg shells (calcium carbonate-CaCO3) to 100ml of vinegar (water and acetic acid - CH3CO2H) and stir for about 5 minutes.

This should produce carbon dioxide (CO2), calcium acetate (C4H6CaO4) and water (H2O) plus leave you with some left over chalk (CaCO3). If you are guessing on how much chalk to add, just make sure that there is a little extra after 5 minutes of stirring.

2. Remove the excess chalk by filtering your mix through some filter paper (coffee filter or napkin can be used).

Set a funnel in a jar, place your filter in it and pour your suspension through it.

3. Mark the level of your solution in its container and allow your solution to evaporate off about half that volume to remove the excess water.

Place your solution in an oven set on low heat or place it out in the sun to dry. If you went to far - just add the missing water.

Note - if you like, you can dry out your solution completely and store the remaining dried calcium acetate for future use.

4. If your solution isn't already in the container you want your gel in, then pour it in there now.

5. Add 30ml of alcohol (ethanol, methanol, or isopropanol) to your solution and watch the gel form. Do not stir.

6. Once the reaction in complete, pour off any extra fuel.

http://zenstoves.net/Sterno.htm

PS: please note that methanol and isopropyl alcohol (isopropanol, IPA) are very toxic, but ethanol makes a fine martini....shaken, not stirred.

Edited by DrDNA

• 1 month later...

Hi i also trying to make ethanol gel (not sterno) something like on this video

so if anyone have idea how to create something like this i will be very grateful if you post

10x