Here we go again! (New LHC Fears)

Pangloss

Consider the source:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,483477,00.html

Three physicists have reexamined the math surrounding the creation of microscopic black holes in the Switzerland-based LHC, the world's largest particle collider, and determined that they won't simply evaporate in a millisecond as had previously been predicted.

Rather, Roberto Casadio of the University of Bologna in Italy and Sergio Fabi and Benjamin Harms of the University of Alabama say mini black holes could exist for much longer — perhaps even more than a second, a relative eternity in particle colliders, where most objects decay much faster.

Which of course Fox News Channel digests to mean the following:

If the worst comes to pass, and there's now a slightly greater chance that it might, at least it might explain why we've never heard from extraterrestrial civilizations: Maybe they built Large Hadron Colliders of their own.

(sigh)

fail-owned-ricky-martin-fai.jpg

Edited by Pangloss

I'm actually kind of surprised nobody has tried to blow the thing up to "save the world" yet. I mean, aren't there any angry, FOX News-equivalent watching mobs near the Franco-Swiss border?

ssshhh! The world ending is not a bad thing. It's part of the plan.

You mean this massive leap in reasoning...

If the worst comes to pass, and there's now a slightly greater chance that it might, at least it might explain why we've never heard from extraterrestrial civilizations: Maybe they built Large Hadron Colliders of their own.

Either, the journalist is not being entirely serious with that statement, or they're an idiot.

It was kinda funny the first time, but I work in a very specific industry, and it's getting kind of annoying to pick up science publications to see "DOOM HAXORS" all over the place.

If they manage to create a stable black hole that'll suck in the world, I at least wanna lick it first.

• 2 years later...

It was kinda funny the first time, but I work in a very specific industry, and it's getting kind of annoying to pick up science publications to see "DOOM HAXORS" all over the place.

If they manage to create a stable black hole that'll suck in the world, I at least wanna lick it first.

the frighting thing is that creating a stable black hole might earn them a Nobel prize :o