"practical" SCIENCE JOBS??----

rex-craft7

ok, the title isnt getting across exactly what i want to say, but -

I think the more I go along in school, the more I'm feeling like research is not for me. At the moment, I'm actually dreading eventually having to do research for the sake of experience and for the sake of applying to grad school - its really confusing to the point of questioning myself whether science is really for me. I keep thinking it would be great if I could find some way to apply my science interests to something more "practical?", hands on, and fulfilling (for me) than research. I want to try using it to actually see my work helping people, or making a difference that I can SEE.

basically, I've noticed that I get really excited when I hear about these kinds of work:

rehabilitating animals and releasing them into the wild

environmental consulting

building trails, planting trees, etc

forensic science

hazmat diving (yes, i think it sounds pretty interesting, and i would not mind trying it out to see if i like it)

so basically I have two main questions - am I a horrible candidate for graduate school? AND, does anyone know any other fields they can name that have the kind of traits that I've mentioned? Any input is appreciated, thanks in advance!

Engineering is pretty much hands-on, and practical. But perhaps not the "furry" kind of practical.

But engineers do apply science, every day, again and again.

Although your other interests don't seem to match pretty well (engineers don't release animals, although they might change (improve or destroy) an entire habitat). Hope this might still be a valuable answer for other people.