Making Copper(Cupric) Chloride or Copper Oxide(CuO)?

Marine12320

I am looking for a easy way to make Copper(Cupric) Chloride or Copper Oxide(CuO). Either works. If anyone has any suggestions, please reply to this post.

I am thinking of putting copper into a hydrogen peroxide solution. Will that make copper oxide(CuO)?

Heating copper to red heat in air will coat it with the oxide (mainly CuO, some Cu2O). Quenching it in water will make a lot of the oxide fall off as flakes. With a bit of copper pipe, a gas stove and a bucket of cold water you should be able to make some quite easily. If you want a lot this will get tedious.

Adding copper compounds to H2O2 generally makes it decompose to water and O2 - not a lot of use.

What do you want the stuff for? If it's for colouring flames then the quality of the product from heating copper in air is probably good enough.

I make my copper salts (and oxide) from the carbonate starting point.

effectively made from a soluble copper salt (nitrate in my case) and potassium carbonate you can use sodium carbonate too.

heating the dry copper carbonate will give you your black copper oxide ;)

• 1 month later...

Add NaOH to a CuSo4 solution and you will get a precipitate of Cu(OH)2 witch decomposes to CuO upon heating

To get CuCl2 you could (Slowly, risk of toxic Cl2 gas liberation) add H2O2 to a Copper in HCL(aq) or

Add CaCl2 to a sociometric amount of CuSo4 to get CuCl2 and insoluble gypsum ppt and CuCl2(aq)

• 4 weeks later...

A rather simple way to make copper chloride, is to start with copper oxide, which can easily be obtained by heating of pure copper in air (I recommend use of the powdered metal, if you have some, for this). While copper does not generally react with most weaker strong acids (I know, an oxymoron), copper oxide, you can easily react with hydrochloric acid, to produce Copper chloride, as shown below.

CuO + 2HCl > CuCl2 + H2O

In regards to obtaining copper oxide, you can also heat copper hydroxide, and this will decompose to form copper(II)oxide and water at a relatively low temperature, or if you have a stronger burner, perhaps even a bunsen burner, you can use copper carbonate as well, decomposing to form copper(II)oxide and CO2. Hope this helps!

• 6 years later...

You may add copper wire to hydrogen peroxide and add hcl ull get cucl2

Then for cuo.. Electrolyse nacl solution with copper electrodes and filter out the ppt obtained(cu(oh)2 and cu2o) ....heat this ppt for long until u obtain black cuo