Ending the 0.999~ = 1 debates

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is really confusing! And yes, I am tking the stance that 0.99999 does NOT equal to 1

You're wrong, and find a flaw in any of the proofs posted in this thread if you don't want to be labled as a big big fool!

This thread advertised an end to the debates.

I want my money back.

"Ending" suggests present tense, i.e. it is currently ending, which holds in any point in time. Therefore it didn't advertise, but rather is currently advertising that end, and it wouldn't be doing that if we'd already reached that point, and no refunds are available unless the product is faulty, and it hasn't been delivered yet so that's impossible to determine. Corporate loopholes ahoy. I keep your money. :cool:

Erm, actually, I'd just hoped that everyone here would agree on the answer and work out the clearest proof of it, to end the debates about it elsewhere online. Maybe we need to work on our own solidarity before trying to help 9-year-olds on gaming forums...

0.9 is 0.01 less than one.

edit:

wait until I figure out how to use the denominator tags.

Edit 2:

Did it!

Edit 3: made it 0.01

No' date=' it's 0.[dn']0[/dn]1, which is equivilent to 0.

By the way, that's the mathematical definiton of 'equivilent', which is 'Under all circumstances identical'.

1 - 0 = 1, if you didn't know that already.

0.99.. is equal to 1, that is provable from the definition of what the real numbers are. i'd be interested to see if any of the people who are so sure they are not equal can actually define the real numbers.

0.99..i is equal to i as well!

I just wanted to note that for the ppl who believe that .9999.... is not equal to one then they would be asserting that Zeno's Paradoxes were true. Which in turn would disprove motion. And that would probably screw up a lot of stuff.

I just wanted to note that for the ppl who believe that .9999.... is not equal to one then they would be asserting that Zeno's Paradoxes were true. Which in turn would disprove motion. And that would probably screw up a lot of stuff.

Not quite; Zeno's paradox works on the assumption that a decreasing geometric series has an infinite sum; the 0.999 1 argument is merely about WHICH finite sum it is.

If you're boarding an airliner going across an ocean and you're given the choice between the one with fuel to go 1 * the way there or 0.999 * the way there, which aircraft would you pick?

I rest my case! Hehehe...

Oi

Like a plane is going to have the exact amount of fuel for 1 trip, never mind less.

Anyway, since a molecule of fuel is logically indivisible (otherwise it is no longer fuel), the analogy breaks down pretty fast.

If you're boarding an airliner going across an ocean and you're given the choice between the one with fuel to go 1 * the way there or 0.999 * the way there' date=' which aircraft would you pick?

I rest my case! Hehehe...[/quote']

What exactly has this got to do with Zeno's paradox?

I don't know what Zeno's paradox is, but I do know that 0.999 of the fuel load needed to fly the full distance will make you drop in the drink...

Still convinced that 1 and 0.999 is the same thing?