Political Humor

iNow

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

8030616653_00b5161a6a_n.jpg

So we are in agreement , everyone wants peace. ;)

There's actually a bit of subtle humor in this image. Imagine Netanyahu looking at the President of Iran while making this gesture.

The insulting version of this gesture (with the palm inwards) is often compared to the offensive gesture known as "the finger". George H. W. Bush actually got into trouble in Australia in 1992 by making this gesture.

Edited by Bill Angel

• 2 weeks later...

post-30591-0-93359800-1349620943_thumb.jpg

Do you think that these college students care

about health care for the poor?

(They were students at Johns Hopkins University

in Baltimore)

^Yes. One can have a good time socially with friends on occasions like new year's eve and still care about broader social issues like healthcare for the poor. If the intent is to argue otherwise with that photo, then the argument being made is intensely weak.

blunt+card+8.gif

Edited by iNow

^Yes. One can have a good time socially with friends on occasions like new year's eve and still care about broader social issues like healthcare for the poor. If the intent is to argue otherwise with that photo, then the argument being made is intensely weak.

I would first point out that the phrase "intensely weak" is problematical

Here are some meanings of the word intense:

1. Possessing or displaying a distinctive feature to an extreme degree: the intense sun of the tropics.

2. Extreme in degree, strength, or size: intense heat.

3. Involving or showing strain or extreme effort: intense concentration.

4 (a) Deeply felt; profound: intense emotion.

4 (b) Tending to feel deeply: an intense writer..

By weak I assume you mean "lacking persuasiveness; unconvincing".

I would suggest that "the argument being made is totally unconvincing" is a better choice of phrase than "the argument being made is intensely weak".

But to address the substance of your criticism:

A recent study (March 2010) posed the following question to college students:

"THINKING ABOUT NATIONAL ISSUES FOR THE MOMENT, WHICH ISSUE CONCERNS YOU THE MOST?"

The responses were the following:

Economy: (46%)

Health Care: (21%)

National Security (8%)

Education (3%)

Energy and the environment (2%)

During the interviewing period, the health care debate was the major political issue covered in the media.

I would expect that the students' major concern being about the economy reflects their worries about their ability to find employment upon graduation.

The fact that there is no longer a military draft makes the issue of national security of much less interest to them than it was to me and my fellow students back when I was in college during the era of the Vietnam War.

Bill - I think your photo and caption is insulting to the students pictured, you have no knowledge of their cares, interests and vocations and yet you choose to portray them as uncaring merely because they are having a good time at college. When I was at medical school in the 80/90s I can guarantee that there were numerous scenes of drunken debauchery - it's practically on the syllabus - and yet all of my year spent at least some time working in a universal health care system with free provision at the point of use and I believe about 80% are still working in the NHS (this is despite much higher rewards available in private health and/or abroad).

Bill - I think your photo and caption is insulting to the students pictured, you have no knowledge of their cares, interests and vocations and yet you choose to portray them as uncaring merely because they are having a good time at college. When I was at medical school in the 80/90s I can guarantee that there were numerous scenes of drunken debauchery - it's practically on the syllabus - and yet all of my year spent at least some time working in a universal health care system with free provision at the point of use and I believe about 80% are still working in the NHS (this is despite much higher rewards available in private health and/or abroad).

I see your point, and if any of those students have become physicians they are likely contributing more to alleviating America's health care problems than are most other people (including myself). Keep in mind though that there is no NHS in the USA, so there is no assurance that their medical practice is necessarily benefiting the less affulent. And if the Republican challenger wins the Presidential election he has promised to repeal Obamacare, which attempts to get everyone enrolled in the health insurance system. In my opinion these students look like the type of people who would support the repeal of Obamacare. ;-)

post-30591-0-42417700-1349647754_thumb.jpg

Edited by Bill Angel

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

“I think that there is just such a toxic atmosphere right now, specifically in the Republican party. I would love to say that it’s going to be all about ideas and solutions, but unfortunately a lot of it is about just being able to say, ‘I’m more angry at the Obama administration than somebody else.’ That’s not what motivates me politically or governmentally. I believe it ought to be about solutions.” --Mike Huckabee, former Gov of Arkansas

post-30591-0-43392100-1351570870_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'll ask again... Aren't posts to a thread called "Political Humor" supposed to be at least remotely funny?

One does get the impression that wealthy investors and corporate executives are more comfortable negotiating with the Communist Chinese than they are with the duly elected representatives of the American worker, be they the labor unions or the Democrats. Instead of calling in Joe Biden at the last moment to try to negotiate a deal with the Republicans, perhaps they should have called in Hu Jintao, the President of the People's Republic of China, whose portrait I had incorporated into my political image.eyebrow.gif

• 2 weeks later...

The Government has rejected the idea of creating a Trillion Dollar Coin.

See: Treasury, Fed oppose using platinum coin to avoid debt ceiling

It's a pity, because I had a neat idea for the design of the coin.

8346432151_2c48b1f880.jpg

How about a Trillion Dollar Coin with Alan Greenspan's Image On It?

The reverse side of the coin would contain the following quote from Alan Greenspan:

"The whole notion of a debt ceiling makes no sense"

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Rumors spread in Kremlin about referendum for accession of the Kuril Islands to Japan.

Putin calls his FSB agents:

- Comrades, what's going on in Sakhalin?

- Everything is good. We voted.

- What do you mean voted? What for?

- We held referendum for accession to Japan.

- So how were the votes divided?

- They weren't. 100% of people voted for...

- Wasn't there anyone against?!

- Well the Japanese are against, but its too late, we already joined.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Barack Obama’s inauguration will come with a hefty price tag, estimated at more than $170 million.

The actual swearing in ceremony cost $1.24 million, and the federal government gave $75 million to neighboring states Virginia and Maryland to help pay for their share of police, fire and medical services.

The remainder of the money will go to the thug who put Cheney in a wheelchair. :D

23_0_1537118.jpg

line[/hr]

Today's inauguration was attended by more than a million people. Suprisingly, there were only a a few problems. Ten people got frostbite, five people fainted, and Dick Cheney ran over three lawyers.

1423_1_cheny.jpg

:D

That's an awesome joke. Mine is not political, but still funny:

What do you call a lot of asian food?!?

Photon!

• 4 weeks later...

Putin, Russian Minister of Finances, and Russian Prime Minister go to a fancy restaurant. The owner comes over to greet them, and says that he will take their order as they are very welcomed guests in this establishment. He asks them what they would like to eat tonight. Putin replies with, "Meat!" The other two are silent. Bedazzled by Putin's response the owner inquires, "what about the vegetables?" Putin looks at both his ministers, and replies, "The vegetables will also eat meat!"