Political Humor

iNow

Last night, we had a happy hour after work. Hannah (the social butterfly in our office who organized the outing) said everyone had to try a drink they’d never order if they were just out their own. 

It'd been a long week, so I figured “what the hell” and ordered a White Russian. Gotta say... The waitress really earned her tip when she returned to the table and with a perfectly straight face handed me a photo of Donald Trump and walked away. 

5 hours ago, StringJunky said:

"Google Bomb  is an orchestrated linking campaign that is aimed at creating a high search result for a Web page. Specific keywords are chosen to make a statement – political, humorous or otherwise – about the Web page that is displayed. When these keywords are entered as a search query, the targeted Web page becomes the top result."

And...

2 minutes ago, StringJunky said:

It is rigged. Duh.

In all 3 languages I tried?

Do you have any evidence for that?

(And I'd like to know what happens in any other languages people can check)

Edited by John Cuthber

8 hours ago, John Cuthber said:

An image search for "Trotter" (I gather that' s roughly the German for "moron") gives 3 pictures of Trump in the first 10 hits.

There's a few pictures of Trump in the first page of hits for "imbécile".

I'm not sure it's a joke.
It would be if someone had "rigged" google to do this, but it's just a fact.

It's "Trottel" . But still gives hits.

8 hours ago, John Cuthber said:

Do you have any evidence for that?

Google: 'trump idiot google bomb'.

If you enter the word “idiot” into Google’s image search, the first pictures to show up will be those of U.S. President Donald Trump. This is not accidental.

Trump’s elevation in the “idiot” results is, according to the Guardian, the result of a deliberate campaign to manipulate Google’s algorithm.

It all started naturally, as Green Day’s song American Idiot was heavily used during the recent protests at Trump’s U.K. visit. But then, users of the Reddit forum site apparently started upvoting a post that contained Trump’s photo alongside the word, in order to tell Google that the post’s page is popular and therefore probably relevant to people searching for “idiot.” Of course, every time an article such as the Guardian’s—or this one—appears, it reinforces the trend.   http://fortune.com/2018/07/19/donald-trump-idiot-google-bombing/

On 7/20/2018 at 3:46 PM, iNow said:

Last night, we had a happy hour after work. Hannah (the social butterfly in our office who organized the outing) said everyone had to try a drink they’d never order if they were just out their own. 

It'd been a long week, so I figured “what the hell” and ordered a White Russian. Gotta say... The waitress really earned her tip when she returned to the table and with a perfectly straight face handed me a photo of Donald Trump and walked away. 

Missed it by ... THIS MUCH! :cool:

On 21/07/2018 at 2:09 AM, John Cuthber said:

I don't know if Google might use its translating magic to look for meanings in other languages (eg English if you are searching from .com or .co.uk)

On 21/07/2018 at 2:09 AM, John Cuthber said:

Doesn't work in Japanese (lots of manga I don't recognise and Beat Takeshi who, I seem to remember, had a film of that name - or maybe he is just an idiot!)

In Italian the results are dominated by a popular idiota meme, with Trump appearing about half way down the page.

Edited by Strange

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

A man died and went to heaven. As he stood in front of St Peter at the pearly gates, he saw a huge wall of clocks behind him. 

He asked, “What are those clocks?”

St Peter answered, “Those are Lie-Clocks. Everyone on earth has a Lie-Clock. Every time you lie, the hands on your clock will move.”

“Oh,” said the man. “Whose clock is that?”

“That’s Mother Theresa’s. The hands have never moved, indicating that she never told a lie.”

“Incredible!” said the man. 

St Peter continued, pointed to another and said, “That’s Abraham Lincoln’s clock. The hands have moved twice, telling us that Abe told only two lies in his entire life.”

“Where’s Trumps clock?” 

“His clock is in Jesus’ office. He’s using it as a ceiling fan.”

• 3 months later...
On 10/13/2019 at 7:15 PM, iNow said:

Watching Elizabeth Warren debate Trump will be like watching a nuclear physicist explain gravity to a giant jar of spoiled mayonnaise.

lol

Well, there will be folks voting for mayonnaise, because it is more relatable. Spoiled or not.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 12/2/2019 at 3:10 AM, Raider5678 said:

To me, a half truth is a lie.

"I gave $1000 to a poor kid with cancer. Okay. I didn't give $1000. I gave $500. Same thing."

This reminds me of a type of joke that was popular in the USSR as a way of commenting on state propaganda and the dishonesty of politicians:

"I gave $1000 to a poor kid with cancer. Okay. I didn't give $1000. I gave $500. And it wasn't a poor kid, it was my nephew. And he doesn't have cancer, it was his birthday. But it's the same thing in principle."

(I posted this earlier in the thread, but didn't want it to taken as a comment on anything going on in the thread, which I have not read, so I have moved it here.)

• Radio Yerevan was asked: "Is it correct that Grigori Grigorievich Grigoriev won a luxury car at the All-Union Championship in Moscow?"
Radio Yerevan answered: "In principle, yes. But first of all it was not Grigori Grigorievich Grigoriev, but Vassili Vassilievich Vassiliev; second, it was not at the All-Union Championship in Moscow, but at a Collective Farm Sports Festival in Smolensk; third, it was not a car, but a bicycle; and fourth he didn't win it, but rather it was stolen from him."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio_Yerevan_jokes

7 hours ago, Strange said:

This reminds me of a type of joke that was popular in the USSR as a way of commenting on state propaganda and the dishonesty of politicians:

"I gave $1000 to a poor kid with cancer. Okay. I didn't give $1000. I gave $500. And it wasn't a poor kid, it was my nephew. And he doesn't have cancer, it was his birthday. But it's the same thing in principle."

Man, I was really close to being on point with that joke.

• 2 weeks later...