One-sided differentiation proof

transgalactic

transgalactic,

You should have posted this in the Homework Help section and you should read the rules for homework:

A simple reminder to all: this is the "Homework Help" forum, not the "Homework Answers" forum. We will not do your work for you, only point you in the right direction. Posts that do give you the answers may be deleted.

This site is for helping you learn more about science, not for helping you cheat on your science homework.

Please show some work.

this is the only equations i can construct

[math]

\mathop {\mathop {\lim }\limits_{x \to x_0 - } \frac{{f(x_{} ) - f(x_0 )}}{{x - x_0 }} = \mathop {\lim }\limits_{x \to x_0 + } \frac{{f(x_{} ) - f(x_0 )}}{{x - x_0 }}}\limits_{} \\

[/math]

[math]

\mathop {\mathop {\lim }\limits_{x \to x_0 - } \frac{{g(x_{} ) - g(x_0 )}}{{x - x_0 }} = \mathop {\lim }\limits_{x \to x_0 + } \frac{{g(x_{} ) - g(x_0 )}}{{x - x_0 }}}\limits_{} \\

[/math]

"if u(x) = f(x)) then there exists an [math]\epsilon > 0[/math] such that u(y) = f(y) for all [math]y \in [x, x + \epsilon)[/math]. So then [math]u'(x)_+ = f'(x)[/math]."

i dont know how to apply this this to my question

i showed the differentiation equations

i dont know how to continue.

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged

so u(x) and v(x) around x_0 have to pick different functions

because if one is bigger then the other is smaller.

so if f(x)=u(x) then g(x)=v(x) and once again

because f(x) and g(x) are differentiable then we have one sided derivative.

i dont know how to write it thematically but here is a try

[math]

\forall x_0 \in R

[/math]

[math]

{\rm{ }}\exists \delta {\rm{ > 0 |x - x}}_0 | < \delta {\rm{ }}\mathop {\lim }\limits_{x \to x_0 } u(x) = \mathop {\lim }\limits_{x \to x_0 } v(x)

[/math]

Edited by transgalactic
Consecutive posts merged.