2008 Global Temperature

bascule

Some of those pretty colours are extrapolated from readings 1200 km away.

Have a look at the GISS page and reduce the smoothing radius to 250 km and see how much grey suddenly appears.

This is one reason that GISS claims greater coverage than HADCRUT, GISS extrapolates through Dr Hansens "teleconnections" whereas HADCRUT only uses actual data.

Always interesting to see the plots though.:D (Unless you're looking for the "enhanced" warming predicted in the tropical troposphere.:D)

Antarctic ice shelf set to collapse...

http://www.reuters.com/article/environmentNews/idUSTRE50I4G520090119

"We've come to the Wilkins Ice Shelf to see its final death throes," David Vaughan, a glaciologist at the British Antarctic Survey (BAS), told Reuters after the first -- and probably last -- plane landed near the narrowest part of the ice.

The flat-topped shelf has an area of thousands of square kilometers, jutting 20 meters (65 ft) out of the sea off the Antarctic Peninsula.

But it is held together only by an ever-thinning 40-km (25-mile) strip of ice that has eroded to an hour-glass shape just 500 meters wide at its narrowest.

In 1950, the strip was almost 100 km wide.

"It really could go at any minute," Vaughan said on slushy snow in bright sunshine beside a red Twin Otter plane that landed on skis. He added that the ice bridge could linger weeks or months.

The Wilkins once covered 16,000 sq km (6,000 sq miles). It has lost a third of its area but is still about the size of Jamaica or the U.S. state of Connecticut. Once the strip breaks up, the sea is likely to sweep away much of the remaining ice.

• 2 months later...
http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/IOTD/view.php?id=36699

gisstemp_2008.png

2008 was the coolest year since 2000. NASA attributes this primarily to large areas of the Pacific Ocean being cooler than the long-term average due to a La Niña episode that began in 2007.

It's interesting, too, because their has been some talk that the Earth will be cooling for as much as 30 years.

It is certainly a puzzle how this global powerhouse warmer that is CO2 can be put on hold for 30 years... or at all. Where does all this trapped energy go if it is indeed trapped?

It's interesting, too, because their has been some talk that the Earth will be cooling for as much as 30 years.

I haven't heard about what that article is discussing. We're presently in a period where Pacific cooling due to La Nina is affecting the global mean surface

temperature. If we do not see a warming period in the next few years, then it will be time to entertain such notions.

Look up "El Nino" on wikipedia and it also discusses "La Nina".

"La Niña is the name for the cold phase of ENSO, during which the cold pool in the eastern Pacific intensifies and the trade winds strengthen. The name La Niña originates from Spanish, meaning "the little girl", analogous to El Niño meaning "the little boy". It has also in the past been called anti-El Niño.

"La Niña causes mostly the opposite effects of El Niño, for example, El Niño would cause a wet period in the Midwestern U.S., while La Niña would typically cause a dry period in this area."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/El_Nino#La_Ni.C3.B1a

wikipedia - la nina

answer to warming causing ice age

It's all about ocean currents and movement of different water types (salt versus fresh) and temperatures (warm versus cool).

It seems like they are trying too hard. In the second link specifically.

My Physics teacher went on one of his anti-global warming rants today, and he said that we're in a period of cooling that won't go away for a long time, and that it is all part of the natural cycles. He said that when everyone thought the temperature was rising, it was the same as how everyone sees the temperature lowering right now.

(Sorry if the post is incoherent. Studies and sleep deprivation has robbed me of any sense of cohesive writing).

My Physics teacher went on one of his anti-global warming rants today, and he said that we're in a period of cooling that won't go away for a long time, and that it is all part of the natural cycles. He said that when everyone thought the temperature was rising, it was the same as how everyone sees the temperature lowering right now.

And his evidence/reasoning is... ?

it seems like they are trying too hard. In the second link specifically.

(Sorry if the post is incoherent. Studies and sleep deprivation has robbed me of any sense of cohesive writing).

ha, i know what you mean, my biology teacher is the same who has his own little speeches of how global warming is a scam. although i believe that there isnt enough data to truly show wether we are the cause or not of global warming, or if it even exists, i guess it could be like what they say, that is just a warming peroid wich has happened throughout history, but id like to go green just in case. and even it global warming is just a warming period wich will pass, at least we save and gain more precious energy{and money}.though the polar ice caps melting is pretty tough evidence supporting warming.

Do you happen to go to a Catholic school, or religiously based school, Cameron?

Here, you mention that your physics teacher argues against human caused global warming.

In another thread, you said your biology teacher said condoms don't help prevent HIV.

What the hell are these morons doing in an instructional role? I'm trying to figure out what the common thread is for all of this false information you're being given, and the only thing I can conceive is that you attend a more spiritual than reality based institution.

Here, you mention that your physics teacher argues against human caused global warming.

In another thread, you said your biology teacher said condoms don't help prevent HIV.

What the hell are these morons doing in an instructional role? I'm trying to figure out what the common thread is for all of this false information you're being given, and the only thing I can conceive is that you attend a more spiritual than reality based institution.

To be honest, my physics teacher has a PhD in Geology...

He is a bit of a conspiracy theorist, though. He said global warming is a scheme by the U.N. to unite the countries. I don't think that I should have told him about Watchmen. It isn't a religious school (I know you were talking to Cameron, but oh well), it's the only public high school in the town.

He said global warming is a scheme by the U.N. to unite the countries.

Oh bother...

Climate change is a difficult problem being worked on by a lot of people who have differing viewpoints. But under all of this, they are trying to do science. There's no conspiracy.

ha, well no, im not in any catholic school, just the public high school in this tiny town. as for the reason why im being tought falty info{wich your right, i come home and compare data learned from them with stuff online and stuff here to make sure its right quite a bit}, i could look at data and take a guess.

well, i live in central california, where much of the agriculture for the west coast{and more} are grown, and its a really hispanic community. at my school, out of the 3000 kids going there, theres about 20 whites, 100 blacks, 10 indians, and the rest are mexicans. wich is no big deal, no, theres alot of cool people in this town{alot of the little wana be gangsters too, wich is really annoying}, but, most of them are catholic. and most of my teachers are mexican, and possibly catholic too. thats the only reason i can think of at the moment.

but, at least i have places like this to get a further varified and proper education. cheaper too.