If aliens were to visit earth, what would they do?

Mr Skeptic

What would aliens do if they were to visit earth? A nice, open-ended question that makes no unreasonable assumptions. I opened this thread mostly because CHAOS seems to want to discuss aliens but is having trouble phrasing the question in a way acceptable on this forum.

PS: Maybe we can add a poll, when we have some suggestions of what the aliens would do.

I think they'd do some shopping, go to one of the worlds amusement parks to have a go on a roller coaster, then maybe take in a film. ?

Maybe they'd ask for an audience with the president of the USA or the UN. Maybe they'd have tea with the Queen of England? They probably wouldn't bother going to France though. (Unless they wanted to try out their new heat ray or something like that:-p).

Well I have a theory :eyebrow: but it is about what they have been doing (hyperthetically), not what they would do :D

Long ago, when Aliens first discovered Earth, they found that the most intelligent form of life was the primates. They were already so advances and intelligent by this stage that they were able to take their own DNA and through some extreme genetic engineering they were able to combine a tiny amount of it with the ape. In doing so, they produced a more intelligent and self-aware ape. This is backed up with scientific evidence, scientist are lacking in fossils that fill in the link of evolution at this stage. We were now infact, a genetic experiment created by these Aliens. They have been, and still are abducting people to implant "computer chips" that monitor our bodily functions, they also perform genetic experiments on people, some are returned, some are not. They watched us create a society, they watched us advance and learn until in recent years, we were advanced enough for them to show themselves to the Government we had established. Since then, the Government, or secret compartments of the Government have been working with Aliens. They have built and established massive underground infastructure, and all this is kept secret from the masses. These facilities contain extremely advanced technology such as free-energy and anti-gravity technology. This Alien race has absolute control and power over Earth. We are still seen as an experiment and property of this race. Now, this last bit of my theory, that I am about to explain, is the part I am least sure about. I believe that other Alien races have become aware of what the Aliens controlling us are doing. These are the UFO's that have been revealling themselves more and more, and taking people on trips through the galaxy, showing them extraordinary things. I believe this Alien race is preparing to war with the aliens controlling us, they are here to set us free and show us the truth about reality. :eek::confused:

Well, these hypothetical aliens must both be capable of interstellar travel and see some point in visiting an alien biosphere (though not necessarily a civilization - ours is recent enough and space travel long-term enough that anyone here probably wasn't expecting to find humans in particular in such a dominant position), so it seems like there's a decent chance they'd be kind of like us (at least as intelligent as us in ways similar to us, at least as curious as a monkey or a dolphin, capable of working together on a large scale, capable of efficiently passing on empirical knowledge). And if that's the case, then who knows what they'd do? We are pretty unpredictable, ourselves.

If aliens were to visit earth, they'd almost certainly not be wasting vast amount of resources hiding and studying us. What's the point? Even if they were just observers, the universe is probably teeming with an enormous amount of wonders to explore, other civilizations to meet, etc.

Aliens would likely have the technology to study us quickly, it'd be like us studying a forgotten tribe in jungle, not more than 40 years study necessary. And if they wanted resources or manpower, it'd be to their benefit to immediately train us.

If we discovered a forgotten tribe in the jungle, or found life on Mars, think about it. How much energy and resources it would take us to hide from or amongst them while observing, compared to if we just introduced ourselves after taking a few minor precautionary steps.

If aliens were going to attack or enslave, they'd likely do it right away, otherwise taxpaying aliens back home would be calling for heads due to the amount of time and dedication being spent on a more primitive species of intellect. :D

Sisyphus's explanation is pretty level-headed.

Well, these hypothetical aliens must both be capable of interstellar travel and see some point in visiting an alien biosphere (though not necessarily a civilization - ours is recent enough and space travel long-term enough that anyone here probably wasn't expecting to find humans in particular in such a dominant position), [...]

That's something I hadn't thought of. It might even be that they weren't expecting any life, as they might not have been able to detect life from such a distance. Though our oxygen atmosphere might be a giveaway even at distance?

That's something I hadn't thought of. It might even be that they weren't expecting any life, as they might not have been able to detect life from such a distance. Though our oxygen atmosphere might be a giveaway even at distance?

I was assuming that, yeah. Either they would be able to tell from interstellar distances, or there would be some kind of unmanned probe sent ahead of time to any and all potentially life-supporting systems. Certainly that's what we would do, anyway. They would need a major motivation to actually come here in person, meaning, again, that they might be a lot like us. Alternatively, they could be so alien that spending lifetimes in transit isn't considered a drawback.

I think they'd try our beer.

I can imagine them inventing all our hi-tech stuff well before we did. But stuff made from plants that specifically evolve on earth, fermented by organisms that evolve on earth, produced by us... that's something they've never had before.

Surely, they'd try a beer and get hammered in a bar :D

I sure hope for them that they're carbon-based aliens with a metabolism that is somehow resembling ours (what are the odds of them having a metabolism that can survive a beer, and them never having invented the stuff... though questions these are...)? :D :D

I sure hope for them that they're carbon-based aliens with a metabolism that is somehow resembling ours (what are the odds of them having a metabolism that can survive a beer, and them never having invented the stuff... though questions these are...)? :D :D

If they didn't have our fermenting little buddies on their planet, I'd say good odds.

Hopefully they won't have the fizzy yellow stuff as their first impression. Maybe we'll get lucky and the first beer they drink is Arrogant Bastard.

They might have a new respect for us then :)

If they didn't have our fermenting little buddies on their planet, I'd say good odds.

Hopefully they won't have the fizzy yellow stuff as their first impression. Maybe we'll get lucky and the first beer they drink is Arrogant Bastard.

They might have a new respect for us then :)

Their first impression will almost certainly be the crap we broadcasted when radio and TV were invented. Those signals will reach them first. And that's not a very good impression :-(

But that's off topic, because we're talking about what they do when they arrive here.

Perhaps they'll try to communicate with the largest life forms on earth: trees (is that true?).

Their first impression will almost certainly be the crap we broadcasted when radio and TV were invented. Those signals will reach them first. And that's not a very good impression :-(

But that's off topic, because we're talking about what they do when they arrive here.

i'm pretty sure they'll have archives from their early days similarly filled with embarassments.

Perhaps they'll try to communicate with the largest life forms on earth: trees (is that true?).

yeah, because they'll be totally unable to tell which species are communicative and resort to a size based method of determining the communication abilities.

although saying that we can't know if that statement is true or false as we have no evidence either way.

Since an alien could come in many forms, I think the only way I can approach this is what would humans do if we encountered an alien world. Given that we would be more advanced than now, we would probably take every precaution to be peaceful and do them no harm, but in the end we would introduce some virus that would almost wipe them out. Then we would probably try to help them rebuild the way we see fit.

Okay I'm still waiting, but obviously they would shower us with extraterrestrial super technology which will bail us out of all our current and future problems. That's why I am eagerly waiting for their arrival. Unfortunately, there is no sign of them yet.

If we are speaking of why they would come to Earth, you have to remember that almost all colonization or exploration efforts are rarely, if ever, done for pure scientific knowledge. Presumably they would send probes first to determine the best landing spots though...

If we are assuming that faster than light travel is impossible, any aliens that would come to Earth would most likely be here to stay.

How they intend to interact with us would be the real question, not so much what they would do if they came....