What is time?

Dark_anzel

what actually is a time, is a confusing question. i have got a real funny answer for it. can we explain time as distance between two point relative to observer with velocity c in the universe?? as i am a amature, this is a vague idea to think of(no scientific ideas or thoeries to support my idea). what actually is a time??

Edited by Dark_anzel

I am not sure if anyone can give you a very convincing answer to what time actually is. Of course, we can tell you how to deal with time mathematically as in the theory of general relativity for example and make testable predictions.

We do use ct as a dimension in describing one dimension of spacetime. However, we can't really describe an observer moving at c, and the distance one measures decreases as speed increases (length contraction)

"What is time?" is a question containing a heavy dose of metaphysics

My Definition

Time is a manifestation , of energy being transferred , from one point in the universe to the other.The speed at which this transfer occurs relative to the observer , determines the magnitude of the time dialation( not sure about the spelling here) relative to the observer.

My Definition

Time is a manifestation , of energy being transferred , from one point in the universe to the other.The speed at which this transfer occurs relative to the observer , determines the magnitude of the time dialation( not sure about the spelling here) relative to the observer.

Ok, so now we need a clear explanation from you what energy is! LOL

My Definition

I can transfer energy via radiation (at c) or convection (much slower) and observe the same time dilation.

what actually is a time, is a confusing question. i have got a real funny answer for it. can we explain time as distance between two point relative to observer with velocity c in the universe?? as i am a amature, this is a vague idea to think of(no scientific ideas or thoeries to support my idea). what actually is a time??

The more basic a quantity is the harder it is to describe. The Ducth physicist H.K Kramers once said (From Physical Sciences and Human Values (a symposian) , Princeton University Press, Princeton, NJ, 1947)

My own pet notion is that in the world of thought generally, and in physical science particularly, the most fruitful concepts are those to which it is impossible to attach a well-defined meaning.

That applies very cogently to the concept of time (as well as energy)

Here is a good working definition of time

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time

There you go. A word invented by man and defined by man.

I'm confused. Do you think that there is a problem with that? After all every single word that has ever existed on this planet was invented by a human and defined by a human. What's the objection to that?

I'm confused. Do you think that there is a problem with that? After all every single word that has ever existed on this planet was invented by a human and defined by a human. What's the objection to that?

Not at all. You pointed to the answer. Why struggle with words when someone already did it for you? Good post. I'm on you side here. :)

Not at all. You pointed to the answer. Why struggle with words when someone already did it for you? Good post. I'm on you side here. :)
Ah! Okay. Thanks. I was confused there for a moment.

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged

I'll be leaving soon due to some health problems (and probably won't be back) so I was wondering if, in the mean time, you'd like to read more about this from scans of the physics texts I have on this topic. I can scan the pages in and upload them to my personal website if you'd like?

Then the question would be, does time exist? Or which of the definitions that we have, matches the real world?

time seems cyclic on many scales, with orbits and frequency of electromagnetic radiation, and a one-way process with stellar evolution and radioactivity, on the other end.

i wonder if an end to time could be more like a horizon, like the edge of the observable universe you just can't get there?

• 2 weeks later...