can we play god

jamey2k9

most people find the idea of creating a new life form to be an idiotic idea but i believe otherwise i mean from one strand of dna we could grow a sheep or a human (even if it is illegal) so why couldn't we mix a a hamster and a fish to make a hamfish or something similar any ideas welcome

most people find the idea of creating a new life form to be an idiotic idea but i believe otherwise i mean from one strand of dna we could grow a sheep or a human (even if it is illegal) so why couldn't we mix a a hamster and a fish to make a hamfish or something similar any ideas welcome

http://xkcd.com/28/

Before people go designing new forms of life we require a ethical approach.

Yes farmers may well have cross bred pigs and other farm animals for a joke

but without having had a proper knowledge of D.N.A. and preventing genetic

deformity it may ave been comical and perhaps unethical if we were to have

pigs with coats like zebras fr example or sheep with blue rinse fleeces are

we amusing ourselves and having an nuethical approach its like cloning ears on hamsters and perhaps the is a medical benefit whatever next , grafting

horses penis,s to human beings , we can laugh about it we can play a

demonstrative role all jokes apart its a question of ethics !

i wouldn't mind a horses penis there about a metre long imagine you wouldn't be scared to go nude in public places like at the swimming baths and at school your friends boasting about how his penis is so big you'd just be able to turn round an say so what mines a metre beat that

lol

Edited by jamey2k9

i wouldn't mind a horses penis there about a metre long imagine you wouldn't be scared to go nude in public places like at the swimming baths and at school your friends boasting about how his penis is so big you'd just be able to turn round an say so what mines a metre beat that

lol

Part from if you actually got arosed you would pass out from low blood pressure or you would have constant high blood pressure and would end up haemorrhaging and either bleeding out or having a stroke.

joking aside i dont think anyone's actually noticed the the scientific question what i wanted to know was could you create a new life form from mixing other ones together

Jamey - The short answer is, yes. We do it already with artificial breeding in our animals and livestock. From a genetic standpoint, we do it also with crops like corn and wheat. We can do this, we will do this, and it will be interesting. We just need to be very careful. With any great advance comes the possibility for new and unforeseen problems. That's no reason not to try, but we must remain cognizant that we are still in our infancy with this new technology, and remember that wisdom is far more important than mere knowledge.

i still think my hamfish is the best

joking aside i dont think anyone's actually noticed the the scientific question what i wanted to know was could you create a new life form from mixing other ones together

Before people go designing new forms of life we require a ethical approach.

Yes farmers may well have cross bred pigs and other farm animals for a joke

but without having had a proper knowledge of D.N.A. and preventing genetic

deformity it may ave been comical and perhaps unethical if we were to have

pigs with coats like zebras fr example or sheep with blue rinse fleeces are

we amusing ourselves and having an nuethical approach its like cloning ears on hamsters and perhaps the is a medical benefit whatever next , grafting

horses penis,s to human beings , we can laugh about it we can play a

demonstrative role all jokes apart its a question of ethics !

lol

Perhaps a cross between a human and a Firefox would give us a creature that is web-friendly, punctuates its sentences and is more easily read. ;)

Yep. I think that is the only way we can do so (unless you count breeding and selecting unique mutations). We made glowing fish by adding jellyfish genes to the fish. Also, golden rice was made by adding genes from other species.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_rice

Golden rice is a variety of rice (Oryza sativa) produced through genetic engineering to biosynthesize beta-carotene, a precursor of pro-vitamin A in the edible parts of rice. ... Golden rice was developed as a fortified food to be used in areas where there is a shortage of dietary vitamin A.

Golden rice was created by transforming rice with two beta-carotene biosynthesis genes:

1. psy (phytoene synthase) from daffodil (Narcissus pseudonarcissus)

2. crt1 from the soil bacterium Erwinia uredovora

The advantage of golden rice is that it doesn't require anything other than land to produce, so poor countries that can't afford vitamin pills can get their vitamins via genetically fortified rice.

Hello guys

I'm suggesting that we do a virtual competition about these ideas of mixing creatures'Dan to create new Extraordinary ones.

Frm me, U have the invention of the man-giraffe of 8m tall, long 4 thin legs and man face, with a little tail as well

Actually the things That needs to be done are the scientific steps to follow to make it happen.

giraffe_ngr-4450[1].jpg

Oh dear... Hippodogamus? Yeah... 'cause it's not bad enough when a little dog gets all excited, jumps up and whacks me in the nuts with his front paws. I really need a hippo doing it to make it that much more fun. :D

I'm going with Platyroo, just for the challenge of squeezing yet more animals into that already bestricken creature. And with Kangaroo legs, (with the right hip bone stucture) a Platypus might just be able to be pretty kick'n at doing the frog-kick swimming technique.

Plus, it could do some sweet jumps out of shallow water.

Mixing DNA seems to fail when the species are even a little different.

"can we play God" if other than a technical question, a moral issue, is a moral one.

But I don't think we should make a hamfish. It'd taste aweful! :D