Impact site of the pleistocene/holocene extinction

JusDennis

There has been much research published lately that describes, in detail, an explosion that wiped out North America 12,900 years ago. But where did it happen? The answer is that the site of the Pleistocene/Holocene comet impact event some have described has been right under our feet all along. But the stupendous size of the thing is almost beyond comprehension. And that is why we never realized what we were standing on. And until we saw Shoemaker-Levy 9 hit Jupiter, it would have been incomprehensible that such a thing could possibly happen at all.

The story of finding it is a lot like the ancient story of the blind men and the elephant. The blind man who feels a leg says the elephant is like a pillar; the one who feels the tail says the elephant is like a rope; the one who feels the trunk says the elephant is like a tree branch; the one who feels the ear says the elephant is like a hand fan; the one who feels the belly says the elephant is like a wall; and the one who feels the tusk says the elephant is like a solid pipe.

And then someone explained to them:

All of you are right. The reason every one of you is telling it differently is because each one of you touched the different part of the elephant. So, actually the elephant has all the features you mentioned

You see, all of this time we've all been like the fleas on an elephants back, who, when asked what they were standing on, replied; "Why, this is our world of course!" The scars left by a billion megaton explosion that devastated an entire continent shouldn’t be that hard to spot, should they? Not after only a few thousand years anyway. As it turns they are as plain as day for all the world to see. We just needed to get a little distance.

Simply turn on Google Earth (not Google Maps it's too slow) set it to the highest resolution you can get, open your eyes, then zoom out to about 1300 miles, and then look closely at the eastern USA. If you know some one who has military experience with aerial surveillance photos have them look with you. The two circles you see centered on north central Alabama are not mere artifacts of the software. I believe they were caused by the compression waves of rapid, multiple explosions of unimaginable magnitude. And that they are the ghostly signature of the beginning of the Pleistocene/Holocene extinction.

The explosions didn't cause a crater in the normal sense. But it could be confused as one if you don’t look close enough. Careful analysis of sedimentary deposits all over North America on will give results that are consistent with a large exploding comet about 12,900 years ago..

The thing is, those circles are more than 250 miles in diameter. And that's why most folks will glance at it and say "Nah, no way, that's impossible". And they'd right if the circles were the rim of a crater. A deep impact that is powerful enough to make a crater that big would probably kill everything on the earth but insects and germs. The circles are part of a compression wave structure from an above ground explosion a billion (that's right, I said a billion) times more powerful than Tunguska, and not the rim of a crater at all.

The comet fragments look to have exploded in the air like the Tunguska event. But it was a rapid series of objects 2 to 4 miles in diameter exploding above ground. And each explosion was so powerful that they broke the very bedrock and left a giant compression wave frozen in the earths crust like a ripple in a pond. And at the center you’ll find a fracture star like a stone fracture in a windshield. But this one is 12 miles long and 6 miles wide. And the town of Marshal Alabama is at the center of it. There were other fragments too, and if you look closely you can see their footprints in the perfect circular depressions 30 or 40 miles wide around and near Marshal. The other major explosion left a circular impression 65 miles wide, with another set of compression waves centered on eastern Tennessee and with a splash curtain extending over 400 miles to the northeast.

The amazing thing is that as incomprehensible and fantastic as it may seem that such an immense impact structure could be real, and that it has been under our feet all this time, the comet explosions that could cause just such an impact structure are precisely what are described in exquisite detail by R.B. Firestone etal. In their research entitled:

Evidence for an extraterrestrial impact 12,900 years ago that contributed to the megafaunal extinctions and the Younger Dryas cooling.

And in another paper by C. Vance Haynes Jr.

Departments of Anthropology and Geosciences, PO Box 210030, University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ 85721

Entitled:

Younger Dryas ‘‘black mats’’ and the Rancholabrean

termination in North America

See for yourself.

Dennis Cox

P.S. I have both of those papers in PDF format for all who are interested.

If this is what I think it is, it's much like seeing the face on mars and lots of minimally informed speculations layered on top. However, maybe it's not the same thing I've seen posted about elsewhere and completely debunked. I'll keep an open mind. :)

No my friend it isn't imaginary like the "faces on mars". I didn't come here looking for personal and insulting opinions about the quality of my eyesight, my level of inteligence, rationality, or the power of my imagination.

I started this thread seeking intelligent, dispassionate, scientific discussion about a theory in a public science forum. If you don't want to make the effort to read the research papers and look closely at the images described please do us all a favor and keep your rude opinions and denigrating comments to yourself.

No my friend it isn't imaginary like the "faces on mars". I didn't come here looking for personal and insulting opinions about the quality of my eyesight, my level of inteligence, rationality, or the power of my imagination.

I started this thread seeking intelligent, dispassionate, scientific discussion about a theory in a public science forum. If you don't want to make the effort to read the research papers and look closely at the images described please do us all a favor and keep your rude opinions and denigrating comments to yourself.

My, sensitive are ya? Who the hell insulted you or spoke negatively about your intelligence? Look at my post again. "If this is what I think it is, it's been debunked. If it's not, I need more information."

Your hostility implies to me that you've been debunked eslewhere and you're defensive about your position. Don't put that on me, pal.

Now, if you want me to take you seriously then please share the "scientific research papers" and specific "images" to which you refer. A link would be great, as simply referring to an author (instead of journals and publication dates) puts the onus of tracking papers down on me and I'm not going to go through that level of effort for something I care little about. Make it easy for your readers (me included) and perhaps I will start to care and try to help.

EDIT: Misread your post. These are the papers:

http://www.pnas.org/content/104/41/16016.abstract

A carbon-rich black layer, dating to ≈12.9 ka, has been previously identified at ≈50 Clovis-age sites across North America and appears contemporaneous with the abrupt onset of Younger Dryas (YD) cooling. The in situ bones of extinct Pleistocene megafauna, along with Clovis tool assemblages, occur below this black layer but not within or above it. Causes for the extinctions, YD cooling, and termination of Clovis culture have long been controversial. In this paper, we provide evidence for an extraterrestrial (ET) impact event at ≅12.9 ka, which we hypothesize caused abrupt environmental changes that contributed to YD cooling, major ecological reorganization, broad-scale extinctions, and rapid human behavioral shifts at the end of the Clovis Period. Clovis-age sites in North American are overlain by a thin, discrete layer with varying peak abundances of (i) magnetic grains with iridium, (ii) magnetic microspherules, (iii) charcoal, (iv) soot, (v) carbon spherules, (vi) glass-like carbon containing nanodiamonds, and (vii) fullerenes with ET helium, all of which are evidence for an ET impact and associated biomass burning at ≈12.9 ka. This layer also extends throughout at least 15 Carolina Bays, which are unique, elliptical depressions, oriented to the northwest across the Atlantic Coastal Plain. We propose that one or more large, low-density ET objects exploded over northern North America, partially destabilizing the Laurentide Ice Sheet and triggering YD cooling. The shock wave, thermal pulse, and event-related environmental effects (e.g., extensive biomass burning and food limitations) contributed to end-Pleistocene megafaunal extinctions and adaptive shifts among PaleoAmericans in North America.

http://www.pnas.org/content/105/18/6520.abstract

Of the 97 geoarchaeological sites of this study that bridge the Pleistocene-Holocene transition (last deglaciation), approximately two thirds have a black organic-rich layer or “black mat” in the form of mollic paleosols, aquolls, diatomites, or algal mats with radiocarbon ages suggesting they are stratigraphic manifestations of the Younger Dryas cooling episode 10,900 B.P. to 9,800 B.P. (radiocarbon years). This layer or mat covers the Clovis-age landscape or surface on which the last remnants of the terminal Pleistocene megafauna are recorded. Stratigraphically and chronologically the extinction appears to have been catastrophic, seemingly too sudden and extensive for either human predation or climate change to have been the primary cause. This sudden Rancholabrean termination at 10,900 ± 50 B.P. appears to have coincided with the sudden climatic switch from Allerød warming to Younger Dryas cooling. Recent evidence for extraterrestrial impact, although not yet compelling, needs further testing because a remarkable major perturbation occurred at 10,900 B.P. that needs to be explained.

Will see about looking through them. Do you have images?

Edited by iNow

Am impact of the size he is talking about would have been an order of magnitude worse than the impact that contributed to the demise of the Dinosaurs. Such an impact would have devastated the surface of the entire planet, possibly been an extinction event on a scale never before seen.

If this is what I think it is, it's much like seeing the face on mars and lots of minimally informed speculations layered on top.

Denigrate /ˈdɛnɪˌgreɪt/ [den-i-greyt]

–verb (used with object), -grat⋅ed, -grat⋅ing.

1. to speak damagingly of; criticize in a derogatory manner; sully; defame: to denigrate someone's character.

2. to treat or represent as lacking in value or importance; belittle; disparage: to denigrate someone's contributions to a project.

But you didn't mean it that way right?

Read the research. Look at the images.

Let's keep personality out of it.

Yep, same thing I saw elsewhere. Hidden creationist agenda. Be warned. The idea is that the Appalachians were melted by the impact blast and that they are actually a very young mountain range. He is trying to disprove the idea of the earth being old.

Thanks for the reminder, moonman. :cool:

As for as the papers themselves, This thing won't let me post links yet. But if you do a search of either one of the titles. it'll take you right to them.

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged
Hidden creationist agenda
Now those are the words of a small mind. I don't recall posting any creationist drivel. And who said anything about the appalachians? Edited by JusDennis
Consecutive post/s merged.

As for as the papers themselves, This thing won't let me post links yet.

??? all you have to do is [ctrl] c, [ctrl] v

I believe that it is somewhat well accepted that something catastrophic happened 12,000-15,000 years ago.

I have even seen evidence and speculation about possible causes presented on one of the science-related shows the tele.

And your references do not conflict with that.

What I don't get is how you extrapolated that to conclude that a series of impacts occurred at a specific geographical location (Marshal Alabama).

Maybe the resolution is bad, or I need a new monitor, but I don't see it in your image either.

Like looking at the stars, if you look at Google Maps long and hard enough, you'll anything that you want to see......maybe I'm missing something......

What I don't get is how you extrapolated that to conclude that a series of impacts occurred at a specific geographical location (Marshal Alabama).

Maybe the resolution is bad, or I need a new monitor, but I don't see it in your image either.

Like looking at the stars, if you look at Google Maps long and hard enough, you'll anything that you want to see......maybe I'm missing something......

You're right. You need a new monitor

Thanks for providing us with a picture. I agree that the picture shows about 1/4th to 1/3rd of a circle (the rest I don't see).

Can you provide us with a scale, and possibly a picture that shows all circles (you mentioned several circles caused by explosions in the atmosphere).

Don't let the attitude of some here discourage you. If you have good proof, then everybody, including the critics, are willing to discuss. However, your second post really didn't help... you took a defensive position, without providing any new facts. I'm glad to see that you corrected that later. This is a science forum. Pictures and references are needed (and granted, you already provided the references in the 1st post) :)

Here's a link to the article in .pdf (you can click yourself, no need to ask JusDennis, who already offered to provide the article upon request - this is one click further than the links that iNow provided). I'm not an expert, so I cannot check the article and say anything sensible about it. I'm just curious and interested :)

I looked at the landscape in Google Earth and Google Maps very closely, at several magnifications.

I see a large light area, roughly the shape of 1/3 of the outer edge of a several mile wide disc; as similarly described by the Captn

It looks, to me at least, like some hills or it could, much less likely in my opinion, be a valley.

I tried to get elevations but was not successful.

JusD, do you have any elevation info??

Edited by DrDNA

A few important questions:

Does the proposed ring have geological characteristics that match your proposed mechanism?

Is it the right age?

If this above-ground explosion is the source, how do that account for the impact debris found at other sites? Can the leftovers be accounted for without an impact, just by explosion?

Would an explosion over this area have the effect you claim? Or would the soil and bedrock structures prevent it?

I'm not going to say you're wrong, but I'm also skeptical, and need to see proof, and that level of proof is unfortunately beyond the scope of this thread (you'd need to actually go out and conduct the studies yourself, a time and money intensive prospect, or sign on as a grad student working under a prof in this field and make this your thesis).

Mokele