What is Rep Power?

How is it calculated, though? Obviously, how many times someone has added to your reputation plays a role, and how much "rep power" the person doing the adding has. (like if swansont repped me it'd be more beneficial than if DrP repped me). That makes sense, but there has to be more to it than that (I would think). Does number of posts factor in? What about time as a member here? Do you lose rep power for infractions? Just curious. :D

Also, why doesn't the number line up with the green boxes/bars? I have 13 rep power, and 5 boxes in my green bar, but Klaynos (for example) has only 2 less than me in rep power at 11, but only has 2 green boxes in his green bar. What's the dilly?

Yea! Klaynos will also become famous soon enough - but he has 2 greens and 11 rep power points, where book worm has 3 rep points and is on a distinguished road with one green and I will become famous soon enough with one green tab and only 2 rep power points.........and I thought I had it all figured out, but,... but............OMG I'm so confused! :D

i would very much like to know how the sausage is made. I'd like to understand the rep system. I think that rep power is more about how much it matters when you give rep to others, whereas the green boxes (called greenies on another forum) are about how many rep points you've been given.

I notice that DrP has 2 for rep-power whereas I only get 1... perhaps DrP gives out less rep than i do? I suspect you probably get more power if you use it less

hermanntrude has it right. It's based on postcount, how many reputation points you have, and how long you have been a member. We tried to tone down the system so that you can't get too much rep power, since otherwise people would start being able to give 40 or 50 points at a time.

could you give us the equation for how it's calculated?? just out of interest. I'm surprised that I've only got a rep power of 1, since i've been here a while (longer than many who have higher rep powers) and don't give out enormous amounts of rep... I wanted to find out how it works

For every year registered, you get an extra point.

For every 750 posts, you get an extra point.

For every 100 points of reputation, you get an extra point.

That's all there is. We deliberately made the gains in rep power small so there wouldn't be users who overpower everyone else.

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

'Twas a good question though!

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged

Thinking about it though - it would be unworkable. If you rep'ed me and I'd already rep'ed you before, then my rep would increase, which would backdate and increase your rep, in turn increasing mine... and so on! It would be like our own little perpetual motion machine! :D

• 3 weeks later...