2012 - What do you think?

CHAOS

Well lately I have heard a lot about 2012. I have heard 3 different stories and have been presented with lots of so called evidence. These are the 3 thoeries:

-Planet X will cause all sorts of disturbences when it comes into close quarters with our solar system. It's large gravitational field being the main cause. Apparently a large body has been detected a few billion miles out. It also seems our sattelites have experienced wierd gravitational anomilies lately.

-In the centre of our universe is a black hole, from this black hole extends a thin disk-like gravitational field (the galactic belt). Apparently our solar system orbits the black hole as well as oscilating up and down, like the orbit of an electron around a nuclues. Cosmic rays pour out of the centre of black holes and it is said we will be able to see the black hole with the naked eye when we pass through the galactic belt. It is said that the cosmic rays and immense gravitational forces caused by the galactic belt will have catastrphic effects on Earth. 2012 seems to be just about the time we will pass through this belt.

-The LHC (Large Hadron Collider) will backfire in some way, whether it be a black hole or an atomic chain reaction. Nostradamous said in his book that when the positive beams collide (protons) saturn will turn from gold to iron (implying transmution of elements) and all should run from Geneva (exactly where they bulit it). This is way to much of a coincedence! I'm as far from that thing as I can get!

Apperently the number of natural disasters is increasing by exponential rates, the number of UFO sightings are also increasing by exponential rates, our two biggest planets will align on 2012, the Mayan callander ends 2012, and global warming is increasing by exponential rates also. They say we will experience polar shift and there is evidence for past polar shifts. I also read somewhere that all past extinctions on Earth Allign up with when we pass through the galactic belt. It also seems that the number of cosmic rays hitting the Earth is increasing. So what truth is there in these stories, what should we be preparing for? I can feel there is something coming, I have no doubt, but what?

As far as I know, everything I have stated in this post is true, if anything is found to be false, post! If I have missed anything, post!

Edited by CHAOS

Thread moved to speculations, because that's what its entire contents will be.

The OP is advised to search the forums for the literally dozens of threads we have had on this topic.

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged

I should probably clarify actually... I am not closing this thread because it has potential for discussion which many of the other 2012 threads lacked. Directions to check out the existing threads are purely for the benefit of the OP.

Our calendar ends every December. Does the world end before January starts again? When December comes, should we pay more or less attention to potential natural disasters? Well... Since it's only the 11th/12th as of time of this post, I suppose I'll need to wait more than 11 months to really find out.

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged

Okay... To be fair, you DID ask if anything was wrong you'd like to know.

-Planet X will cause all sorts of disturbences when it comes into close quarters with our solar system. It's large gravitational field being the main cause.

What is planet X? Where has this been noted by astronomers, what is it's approach vector, and how quickly is it approaching? Also, how massive is it? If it's just a planet, and it's far enough out that we cannot see it, it's gravitational influence will be minimal at best.

It also seems our sattelites have experienced wierd gravitational anomilies lately.

First, which satellites? Second, aren't the "anomalies" accounted for by relativity? Basically, they have to regularly synch up due to dilation effects. This is well understood, and I should like to think that calling on some unknown planet that nobody has seen is not a requirement for a valid explanation.

If my dog shits on the floor, I don't assume that the house came alive and squeezed it's drywall into feces. I go with the more logical explanation that the dog's mad at me or I forgot to let him out before going to work, or perhaps he has a stomach virus. No need to assume my christmas tree came alive or little demons are playing tricks on me or anything.

-In the centre of our universe is a black hole, from this black hole extends a thin disk-like gravitational field (the galactic belt).

This is wrong. While there is a blackhole at the center of our (and most) galaxy(ies), the influece of gravity spreads equally in all directions. It does not come out as a "thin disk," and even if it did, it's been this way for millions (even billions) of years and nothing recently has changed. But, it doesn't. The gravity of the blackhole is exactly like the gravity of our sun, it's just a lot stronger due to the significantly higher mass.

Apparently our solar system orbits the black hole as well as oscilating up and down, like the orbit of an electron around a nuclues.

So you know, one of the things wrong here is your reference to electrons orbiting the nucleus. That doesn't happen (it was called the Bohr Model, but has since been proven wrong). Electrons are in more of a cloud, and their location is at best described by probabilities... they don't orbit like little planets.

Cosmic rays pour out of the centre of black holes and it is said we will be able to see the black hole with the naked eye when we pass through the galactic belt.

Nothing pours out of the center of blackholes. That's why they are black. Their gravity is so strong that not even light can escape. The same applies to "cosmic rays." We CAN see the effects of blackholes, though.

Picture it like this. There is an invisible ship floating in the sea. We cannot see the ship, but we can see the waves it creates as it moves through the water, hence we know it's there even though we can't see it. We can infer it's existence based on it's effect on it's surroundings. If two kids were playing tug of war, but one kid was invisible, we'd still see that they were there because of how the pull on the rope and effect the balance of their opponent (the other kid). Pretty much how we study blackholes. Either way, this "cosmic ray" and "galactic belt" nonsense is a sure sign your dealing with Deepak Chopra types who misapply scientific terminology.

It is said that the cosmic rays and immense gravitational forces caused by the galactic belt will have catastrphic effects on Earth.

Who says this? People say all kinds of stupid things. Ever watched Jerry Springer? Hell, some people say that eating meat on Fridays or not chopping the foreskin off your penis will make you burn in an eternal fire. Doesn't make it true.

-The LHC (Large Hadron Collider) will backfire in some way, whether it be a black hole or an atomic chain reaction.

It already did. The coolant leaked and screwed the whole thing up. Won't be back online until fall 2009. Except, the blackhole thing didn't happen... probably won't either. It's pretty stupid, really. Stop listening to the Miley Cyrus versions of particle physics, and stop frequenting their websites, as they're the only ones peddling this type of garbage to people only minimally educated and easily taken in... and they're wrong. Stick to real science sites.

Nostradamous said in his book that when the positive beams collide (protons) saturn will turn from gold to iron (implying transmution of elements) and all should run from Geneva (exactly where they bulit it).

Ermmm... I don't have anything to say to that which isn't mean, so I'll let it slide. Although, if Saturn goes through transmutation, I'm pretty sure we'll be sending space ship mining crews up there right quick! (read: this is really silly, you should let that thought go.).

Apperently the number of natural disasters is increasing by exponential rates

Are they, or are reports of them happening just coming in more frequently or being recorded more fully than they used to be? Also, let's stick to reality, as this one probably has more to do with global warming than mayan calendars, blackholes, hadron colliders, or transmutations on Saturn.

the number of UFO sightings are also increasing by exponential rates

Maybe there are better drugs in the market. Maybe people are scared and having weird dreams. Maybe people are visiting internet sites that feed them bullshit.

our two biggest planets will align on 2012

They are aligned right now! I swear it. I'm not lying... You just have to view them from the proper position, and they are always aligned when you look at them from the proper location. Not that I really think they are going to align when viewed from earth in 2012, I'm just sayin'... Planets and stars ALWAYS align from some perspective or another. Look at two trees. They are spaced apart. Now, move either to your left or right... keep going... LOOK! They're aligned now! It's a sign! :doh:

the Mayan callander ends 2012,

See comments above about December... Hey... It's January, we're still here. WTF? It just doesn't make sense.

and global warming is increasing by exponential rates also.

Again, find the most logical explanation. We humans have been pumping tons and tons of CO2 into the atmosphere for more than a century. That's changing the climate. Like my dog poop example, you don't need to invoke mayan calendars or little green men to explain.

They say we will experience polar shift and there is evidence for past polar shifts.

The earth's magnetic field changes, as do the fields on the sun, and even our entire galaxy. It's happened hundreds of times. Look here for more reliable information:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/magnetic/timeline.html

So what truth is there in these stories, what should we be preparing for?

The only "truth" in these stories are "half-truths," and bad misinterpretations of what we actually know.

I can feel there is something coming, I have no doubt, but what?

My hope is a second enlightenment so people are not so easily fooled by such nonsense, but that's just me. :)

As far as I know, everything I have stated in this post is true, if anything is found to be false, post! If I have missed anything, post!

I hope this has helped. I didn't provide much information because there were so very many misunderstandings. If you'd like clarification on ANY of the points, let us know. We'll help you find information which isn't completely bogus to help you on your journey out of the darkness.

And hey... we all die anyway... who cares? The funny thing about life is, nobody gets out alive. ;)

Edited by iNow
Consecutive post/s merged.

Well lately I have heard a lot about 2012. I have heard 3 different stories and have been presented with lots of so called evidence. These are the 3 thoeries:

Actually, there are a lot more myths about 2012, just like there are about some other arbitrary years. This isn't the first random year that's picked as the end of the world doom scenario. And yet we're still here.

Hm.

-Planet X will cause all sorts of disturbences when it comes into close quarters with our solar system. It's large gravitational field being the main cause. Apparently a large body has been detected a few billion miles out. It also seems our sattelites have experienced wierd gravitational anomilies lately.

Okay, what planet? There is no planet that comes close to our solar system, that's just not happening. We are quite able to predict these things *way beyond a 3 year period*, in advance, using current math and observations.

No such planet exists.

No star exists either, that is coming close to our solar system or is capable of doing anything like what you're describing in the near future.

It is true, however, that we are being merged with the Andromeda galaxy, and that this merge will, most likely, cause "stray" stars to get close to our solar system. That, however, will take billions of years, not three.

-In the centre of our universe is a black hole, from this black hole extends a thin disk-like gravitational field (the galactic belt). Apparently our solar system orbits the black hole as well as oscilating up and down, like the orbit of an electron around a nuclues. Cosmic rays pour out of the centre of black holes and it is said we will be able to see the black hole with the naked eye when we pass through the galactic belt. It is said that the cosmic rays and immense gravitational forces caused by the galactic belt will have catastrphic effects on Earth. 2012 seems to be just about the time we will pass through this belt.

"Center of our universe" is an unclear statement. There is no center to the universe. At least, not that we can pinpoint. Do you mean, perhaps, the center of our galaxy?

Our galaxy has a black hole in its middle, most likely, but we are not going to be sucked into it. Specially not within 3 years. That's quite absurd.

-The LHC (Large Hadron Collider) will backfire in some way, whether it be a black hole or an atomic chain reaction. Nostradamous said in his book that when the positive beams collide (protons) saturn will turn from gold to iron (implying transmution of elements) and all should run from Geneva (exactly where they bulit it). This is way to much of a coincedence! I'm as far from that thing as I can get!
Okay noooo nonono. LHC has nothing to do with doomsday scenarios. It's replicating a phenomenon that *already happens in space*, continously, all the time, for millions of years. We just can't predict *exactly where* it will happen next, so we built a machine to replicate the phenomenon under controlled conditions.

Saying the LHC can destroy the world, is pretty much like saying that a bath tub is dangerous because of tzunamis.

Apperently the number of natural disasters is increasing by exponential rates,
Uh.. where? You need to prove this one, because I haven't seen any *ACTUAL* data to suggest this is true. Just claims from doomsayers.

the number of UFO sightings are also increasing by exponential rates,
First, you need to supply statistics for that too. Second, until you examine each and every one of these claims and find them all to have a *REAL* common cause, this "information" is irrelevant.

As it stands right now, all UFO sightings were explained by *real* phenomena. If you think that UFOs have any other reason for them, you need to prove that one too. (search the forum, btw, we've been over this subject quite extensively).

our two biggest planets will align on 2012,
Yeah, well, I'm not sure, but even if they do, that "aligning" happens quite often and happened quite a lot during history with no effect on our environment, CERTAINLY not an extinction.

the Mayan callander ends 2012, and global warming is increasing by exponential rates also.
You're bunching up a lot of unrelated claims, most of them unproven.

First off, the Mayans had a few "important"/"doomy" dates, and they have no *ACTUAL* mention of 2012, just a mention of general something that people take and INFER they meant 2012.

They also thought the world would end in 2000. Whoops.

The fact global warming is increasing has nothing to do with 2012. You also need to prove any relations, since despite the fact global warming can be dangerous to the environment, it's very unlikely we will be extinct by it in three years.

They say we will experience polar shift and there is evidence for past polar shifts.
They who? What do youmean "polar shift"? The Earth has been wobbling for a loooong long time before humanity existed and will, probably, for a long time after. This so called "polar shift" is not something that happens instantenously, or through a few-year-period. It takes hundreds of thousands, of not millions, of years.

I also read somewhere that all past extinctions on Earth Allign up with when we pass through the galactic belt. It also seems that the number of cosmic rays hitting the Earth is increasing. So what truth is there in these stories, what should we be preparing for? I can feel there is something coming, I have no doubt, but what?
I can't really comment on random stuff that are unproven and have no reference. Where did you hear this? Who said? What information was usedc to conclude such results?

I also once heard that a terrible computer bug will make all the nukes in the former soviet union go ballistic and destroy the world at 2000. Sooo..?

No, no no. Everything, sorry to say, that you've stated, is utter rumors, unsupported facts, and pure science fiction. Nothing is supported by facts or statistical data, it's all one big collection of selectively-picked data to support an "end of the world" scenario.

There are a whole bunch of POSITIVE things that happened in the past 100, 50, 10 and 5 years, and 10 months, and 2 days. But in order to promote a "doomsday" scenario that looks scary, the perpetrators of this incredibly silly and unsupported scheme *IGNORE* all the *positives* and only bunch up whatever negatives they can find (most are completely unrelated and some are unsupported, hence not even true) so they sound scary.

Don't fall into that trap. It's nothing more than science fiction. It's not even original, either; every few years some woohoo group pops up and claims the end of the world is at X.

And yet, here we are.

~moo

P.S: I VERY MUCH recommend Dr Phil Plait's book "Death from the Skies!" (available at book stores and Amazon online, etc) to see what are the more realistic (though unlikly to happen anytime soon) scenarios in which the world will end. With actual proof. And very light read, depite the subject :) WELL worth the read.

Edited by mooeypoo

You might also want to check the meaning of "exponential rate":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exponential_growth

Here's an example of an exponential increase, where the counted items double every step. Assume each row is a year, and the numbers count natural disasters or UFO sightings. After 25 years it is clearly ridiculous:

OK, time to clear a few things up. Planet x has been said to exist for a long time now. There are alot of things that make astronomers think there must be another planet in our solar system. It is on a highly eliptical orbit, sling shotting around our sun and back off into space. It is a star that lacked the necessary mass to ignite, making it extremely hot and veiwable by NASA's infared camera's. They did detect something a while back of astromical proportions using infared. No, experts are unable to explain the recent anomilies in the sattelites orbits. Yes, I did mean the centre of our galaxy, sorry, and I recently have thrown the galactic belt thoery out the window because there is no galactic belt. I only wanted to get across the oscillation idea, the electron sets up a static wave field, it pops in and out of existance and can be in two places at once. Um, I know you cannot see black holes, only their effects, and they do pour out cosmic rays (well in hawkings radiation theory). Also, natural disasters are occuring more frequently, the recordings for particular places compared with past recordings show increasing rates. If you don't believe in aliens I suggest you do some research on extraterestrial isotopes found in microchips found in people! These chips were connected to the peoples nerve endings! By polar shift I mean the switching of the north and south poles, if this happened we wouldn't be to happy.

CHAOS, "said" is not the same as "proven".

Big foot is "said" to exist,

Loch ness monster is "said" to exist,

The manchurians are "said" to exist,

The CIA is "said" to have killed Kennedy,

The moon used to be "said" to be made of cheese.

You have to have some sort of basic set of rules to differentiate between statements that are said by some people but are false, and statement that are said to be people and are true.

The only way to actually differentiate between reality and rumor (or fear mongering) is through actual proofs. If you follow rumors, then I can probably convince you of pretty much anything from a cheesy moon to a conscious sun. Where do you draw the line?

Planet X is "said" to exist by a small group of people who can't ever prove it exists. In fact, they can't even state what we should see, where, and how. Our information about the skies is quite good - we can see the effects of celestial objects on our own planet and other planets very accurately.

For that matter, this is how some planets were found - scientists expected the Earth or other planets to move a certain way, but saw a discrepency between the actual movement and the expected movement. The conclusion was that there needs to be another object or phenomenon to cause this discrepency.

In the case of Neptune, the math showed there needs to be another object at exactly that distance and size. The math was then corroborated by observation.

In the case of "Vulcan" (a planet that was presumed to exist inside the orbit or Mercury), the observation never showed such planet - the discrepency in the pertrubations of Mercury was finally explained by Einstein's relativity theory.

In both cases we've seen an effect on celestial objects and investigated it.

In the case of "Planet X" there's nothing.

The proponents can't even say where exactly (or roughly) it is proposed to be. Some groups that enjoy scaring the crap out of people use the fact most of the population don't know enough of the mathematical tenets of how to find those "planetary pertrubations" or mathematical discrepencies or even observational discprepencies, and use it as a scare tactics.

Don't let this work on you.

Moreover, with due respect, suggesting we don't do the research is showing a bit of laziness on your part, CHAOS. As I've said, we had a lot of discussions on Aliens and UFOs in this forum where we examined a lot of evidence. If you have any new evidence to produce, please do, we will examine it critically and might be convinced. So far, though, the purposed evidence were shown to be false.

Be fair, and do a search on UFOs and Aliens on this forum before you claim that we are the ones who didn't do the research.

~moo

Mooeypoo, I'm not really sure on this, but I think part of the belief in "Planet X" dates back to the discovery of Pluto. As I understand it, Pluto was predicted by perturbations in the orbit of Neptune. Pluto was found but is not massive enough to cause the variations. From this some have concluded an extra, extra massive planet exists out beyond Pluto. (I have no idea of the actual current state of the knowledge.)

Anyhoo, some New Agers mixed this idea in with the "Nephilim" stories, added a dash of Velikovsky and "Hey Presto", came up the concept of a highly eliptical planet that causes widespread destruction on Earth every so many thousand years. (It caused the Great Flood doncha know?;))

They are able to make it sound "scientificy" enough sound like a plausible theory to explain their "observed evidence". Very much like creationists and their "observed evidence", I'm afraid.

But to answer the OP question "2012, What do I think?"

I think it's about 3 years away.

• 1 month later...

to the OP:

All of the above 3 theories that you have proposed have no Base whatsoever. Dont' get me wrong. I am worried about 2012 as anyone is. but your theory on Planet X is False. Just simply, there is no planet X. that is the problem.

Also this gravitational belt you talk of, is this Fact or speculation ? does this belt really exist ?? if so has NASA have any proof ?

Thirdly, this Hedron collider thus far seem to have NO deleterious effects. These Micro black holes that may form dissipate very quickly.

Lastly, yes i do worry about our future. I know that people laugh at Nostrodamus predictions but many of his predictions seem just so much more than a Coincidence. Just as this Economic disaster we face today was predicted by him.

Well i don't know much about 2012's theories but i read some, for a while ive been thinking are thse predictions true? they make it so convincing i say to myself.

As far as im concerned the Planet X prediction is somewhat hard to understand so i don't think its true, but not 100% sure.

On the other hand, the other predictions such as:

The LHC - Large Hadron Collider, saying that their experiment might go wrong and destroy us with becoming a black hole and sucking us in.. There's a huge chance that's not gonna happen, so far no problems were identified since they began using the LHC.

However Nostradamus's predictions unexpectingly mostly came true, with disasters around the world happening. I know many people laugh at him thinking he is Delusional at that time, but many do believe his words.

All we have to do now is wait till 2012 comes and wether some precitions are true/false or non are.

Well i don't know much about 2012's theories but i read some, for a while ive been thinking are thse predictions true? they make it so convincing i say to myself.

As far as im concerned the Planet X prediction is somewhat hard to understand so i don't think its true, but not 100% sure.

On the other hand, the other predictions such as:

The LHC - Large Hadron Collider, saying that their experiment might go wrong and destroy us with becoming a black hole and sucking us in.. There's a huge chance that's not gonna happen, so far no problems were identified since they began using the LHC.

However Nostradamus's predictions unexpectingly mostly came true, with disasters around the world happening. I know many people laugh at him thinking he is Delusional at that time, but many do believe his words.

All we have to do now is wait till 2012 comes and wether some precitions are true/false or non are.

Yes, actually Nostradamus predicted the Banks failing around this time. That is really scary. According Nostradamus, it will get even worse than now, so it is not looking good at the moment.

According Nostradamus, it will get even worse than now, so it is not looking good at the moment.

That's not really a prediction that can possibly fail though, is it?

Any validation of it is going to be subject to selection bias.

Yes worse is yet to come according to him, but still if those catastrophic disaster's he predicted will come true in the future, then that's something we should worry about.

I'm still thinking about th other theories predicted coming in 2012.

Any suggestions about the polar shift?

Some say negative effects will happen to the earth when there is a GA but im not 100% sure about this though, more research will give you specific answer :)

I'm still also reading more about this and trying to fully understand if GA happens will it give a huge effect on earth?

It's all a steaming load of horseshit. Nostradamus was a bad poet that people claim predicts the future if you hold the pages upside-down at arm's length and squint while hopping on one foot.

And this "galactic alignment" shit is based in astrology - and we all know how reliable *that* is.

You want us to take any of this crap seriously? Post evidence.

Basically, any vague mystical mumbo jumbo can be interpretted as a correct prediction in retrospect. Anything.

I would say that I can't wait for 2012 to pass so we can stop hearing this crap, but chances are when it does pass, all the new-agers who were so invested in it, will either find some way of arguing that they actually were right, or claim the calculations were wrong and the world is actually going to end in 2015 or something. That's pretty much what always happens in any religion that predicts the end of the world. (There have been significant numbers of Christians, for example, who have been absolutely convinced that the Rapture is coming "any day now" for the last 2000 years.)

I heared also that they predicted the world was going to end in 2000, but onthing happened, how did they deal with this? yet they still go on predicting the world coming to an end in the year 2012.

Using any type of evidence as possible, from mayans to astronomy.

All we can do now is wait and see what happens when the time comes.

No reason to panic (in other situations) unless there is pure proof of what ever preditions the people mentioned.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So pretty much, people are all scared of [bIGBOLDEDREDPRINTLOL]2012[ENDCRAZYSTUPIDUSELESSTAG] because the world`s "gonna end".

u-g-h.

This is probably completely irrelavent, nevertheless...

I go to this little bible-thumper school where if you`re any other religion, you`re going to hell [surprise right?] and they ALLLLLL believe because the Mayan Calender ended on 2012 that they`re all gonna die.

Except they make it to where god`s going to come and take them all somewhere to live in bliss and harmony.

Ignorance is bliss...

I think all these speculations on the solar flare and our equipment going awry is absolutely ridiculous.

Rubbish in fact...

What do I think about it?

Add a hundred years and it`s a darn good 20 minute RUSH song.

kthxbaii.