The Dawn of a New Age.

Radical Edward

With the X-Prize rapidly hotting up now, and expected to be won within the next few months, could we be at the dawn of a new age for man?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/3700855.stm

Taking space out of governmental control will undoubtedly be one of the most revolutionary events seen in the past hundred years since the wright brothers first took to the air.

I`m not surprised, I`ve watched many documentaries about this X-Prize and this Burt Rutan guy is one hell of a designer! Genius in my opinion. my money was on him from the start, although I secretly wanted the Starchaser project to win (probably Patriotism on my part).

and yeah, I`m with dave, the sooner it`s Public Domain the better! :)

well if we consider the average lifespan at about 75 and I think you`re in your 20`s? that still gives you a good 50 years, and alot can happen in that time :)

I don`t see any real reason why not!

• 4 weeks later...
Burt Rutan's company Scaled Composites has already become the first non-governmental body to be granted a launch licence when the US Federal Aviation Administration gave it one on 1 April.

I don't really understand that... They have to get a licence to go.. So pretty much the US does own space, or the access to space?

• 3 weeks later...

I think it's to do with owning the airspace. I would expect similar restrictions existing in pretty much every other country. There are a lot of safety considerations with hurling huge chunks of steel and titanium at sonic speeds up into the air, it would be very bad press if it happened to collide with a passenger flight or to land in the middle of an orphanage, lol.