Neck cracking

I've read all of the threads about knuckle cracking and found it both interesting and helpful, but I thought I should raise the issue of neck cracking. I've also read other internet articles about it and didn't find specific information regarding the nasty habit.

Now, the reason I'm so concerned is that about 10 minutes ago I had cracked my neck, as usual, but felt a tingling shock that spread down all of my limbs. I think most of the shock was from fear. I sat still for a moment, scared to move, then checked to make sure I wasn't paralysed or received nerve damage. Everything checked out fine (I think), and there's no pain or sign of damage, I can even move my head in a circular motion with no problems.

This has been a wake up call to my constant neck manipulation, no question, but I'd like to know if I'm in any danger here. I've cracked my neck more than 5-10 times daily for about 7 years. Here's how I do it: I hyperextend my neck to the left and right without the use of my hands very gently, it's never done with force or any other way.

I'm going to consciously try to stop, and any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks =)

Tingling (parasthesia) is a sign of some kind of nerve trauma/ischemia. A temporary tingling shock is usually due to sudden compression (like hitting your funny bone, which is sudden compression of the ulnar nerve). If you cracked your neck and felt a sudden tingling shock in all your limbs, then it's likely you applied some degree of compression to your spinal cord. If your neck cracking is extreme enough to do this, my advice is that you stop doing it.

Hmmm... As I thought. Am I in any other danger that I should know about? And will I be healthy and safe if I stop the cracking? Because honestly, I don't feel like accidentally killing myself or causing permanent damage. I'm also tired of worrying about making my spine weaker and getting severely hurt as a result.

Thank you so much for the quick reply

I forgot to mention one more thing; in the knuckle cracking thread, some people had said that the habit is hard to stop because it is accidental. This is the case for myself as well, I've tried to stop many times before, but sometimes it just happens.

Well, I'm doomed. So how about that non-depressing topic of conversation? heh heh, j/k. Any input?

You are in no other danger, but compressing your spinal cord is dodgey enough to be going on with. If you stop doing it, you should be fine. Come to that, if you keep doing it, you may be fine. I wouldn't advise it though.

Like breaking any habit, the first step is to make yourself aware of when you are doing it. To do this, you might want to adopt strategies like recruiting friends, colleagues and family to point out to you when you are doing it. Or you could wear shirts with collars, so the collar digs you when you begin to flex your neck. Anything like that will bring the act to your attention and let you realise how much you do it without thinking. Once you are aware of it, you can stop it easily enough.

How did we get from neck cracking to smoking?

Oh, and my neck cracks from time to time as well, although I have to say that something like that has never happened to me before. If you're really concerned by it, then my suggestion would be to go and see your doctor about it.

YT2095' date=' I've read a lot of your posts and I have much respect for you, but even though it was your opinion, it was unjustified if it was directed towards myself, which it appeared to be.

As a general opinion, you're right, it's plain old dumb for a healthy person to crack their neck for any reason.

[/quote']

I dont think YT2095 was trying to attack you. Thats Why I mentioned the smoking bit. We all do stupid things. I crack my neck too.

Example, my neck will get stiff, I'll move it a certain way and it just pops, just like if you press your closed fist against the ground to get up and your knuckles pop from time to time. It just happens.

I have a little different problem. My neck has been really stiff for a little while now, but wont pop. It just stays tense. Any ideas on how to make it stop?

I dont think YT2095 was trying to attack you. Thats Why I mentioned the smoking bit. We all do stupid things. I crack my neck too.

Yeah, it was quite rash of me to get so upset, I haven't been in a pleasant mood lately. I know you mentioned smoking for that reason, and I appologize again for any misunderstanding. I hope we can put this behind us :)

Well cracking your neck on purpose is not really a great thing to do. However, it your neck cracks on its own thats fine because it was most likely out of place and so then it pops back into the place that it is required to go into. When the neck cracks on its own, it helps re-align the rest of your spine as well.

Java: Neerje

I busted my neck in '89 and had c4-c6 fusion. When I can't feel my hands I turn my head and hear a pop and feel my hands instantly again. That is just to let you know that there is definately a movement and relaxation in your neck when it pops. It frees up a compression in my case that effects me but might not be as restrictive in other cases. I never would force a pop but only offer this as a case study observation. A healthy neck should be able to absorb a few relaxing pops in my opinion.

Just aman

not a problem :)

it wasn`t an attack on you at all, just the act of doing something like that voluntarily, whereas if someone walked up to you (or anyone) and did it too them, they`de be under arrest for assault. btw, I`m a smoker too, and I know it also is very stupid when looked at logicaly :)

cervical vertabrae 2 and 3 in my neck are fused together and I get all manor of problems as a direct result of this, when my neck cracks (usualy from doing something ordinary like picking up a pencil or whatever) it can render parts of me imobile or without feeling for days :(

it would certainly be a good habit to break, before it breaks something really clever! :)

same can be said for smoking sure, but I enjoy smoking (I Know, I`m naughty LOL) :)

It's great that there's no misunderstanding.

cervical vertabrae 2 and 3 in my neck are fused together and I get all manor of problems as a direct result of this, when my neck cracks (usualy from doing something ordinary like picking up a pencil or whatever) it can render parts of me imobile or without feeling for days :(

That must be a difficult thing to live with, unless you're used to it, then it would just be a pain in the neck. (Sorry, bad pun, heh).

it would certainly be a good habit to break' date=' before it breaks something really clever! :)

same can be said for smoking sure, but I enjoy smoking (I Know, I`m naughty LOL) :)[/quote']

lol, I know what you mean. Before I quit smoking 5 years ago, I always said to myself, "I should quit"... Shortly after, I would be smoking again because I enjoyed it too much =) Damn habits, heh heh

"That must be a difficult thing to live with, unless you're used to it, then it would just be a pain in the neck. (Sorry, bad pun, heh)."

it`s funny you should say that, that`s exactly what I refer to it as also :)

it`s not really something I`ve gotten used to, it`s too damned inconvenient when it happens, and often stops me doing the things I want to, and that annoys me, the pain I can deal with, the incapacity drives me nuts tho!

as you said, it`s a right royal pain in the neck (and in the seating area) :)