About turning sea water into drinking water.........

albertlee

well you may electrolise the water, that will provide you with your 2 parts Hydrogen and 1 part Oxygen, but it`s an awefull waste of electricity!

but then there are certain biological processes that maybe employed, both plant and animal that will give a drinkable fluid from saline, but it takes a long time to get significant quantities en mass.

black sand beds in shallow water and polyprop sheeting framed over it into troughs are your best bet, let nature do the rest for you :))

Well, thx to the responds......

some of methods are sufficient, but not easy..........

I have think of a method.... but i need some suggestion...

pour the seawater (about 200cc) in a big beaker......

Use a big sponge to fill the top of the beaker...leaving no spaces to let the steam out......

but still leaves a certain distance from the seawater to the sponge.......

use a bunsen to heat the beaker.....

when the water is gone, leaving the remaining salt at the bottom........

take the sponge carefully out of the top of the beaker.....

then squeeze the sponge in another beaker.......

I think it is going to work....

but still....

Any suggestion?

Albert

Does any body know any sufficient/easy method to do such except applying evaporation & condensation or distillation?

I thought according to this, distilation or evaporation was disallowed? and yet your above post is exactly that? :)

I`m confused? :))

Well' date=' thx to the responds......

pour the seawater (about 200cc) in a big beaker......

Use a big sponge to fill the top of the beaker...leaving no spaces to let the steam out......

but still leaves a certain distance from the seawater to the sponge.......

use a bunsen to heat the beaker.....

when the water is gone, leaving the remaining salt at the bottom........

take the sponge carefully out of the top of the beaker.....

then squeeze the sponge in another beaker.......

I think it is going to work....

but still....

[i']Any suggestion?[/i]

Albert

In fact, it is a form of evaporation using sponge to collect condensed water. Distillation is more efficient than it.

saltwaterexp.bmp

Here is another method I can think of...

the black bold line indicates the aluminium foil

the blue part indicates the salt water

the red arrow indicates the heat from the bunsen

the steam will be rised up to the aluminium foil where it cools down and goes down along the aluminium foil and being collected in the basin........

will this method work?

any body?

every body, it is still same theory, but my chemistry teacher wants us not to use scientific equipment like condenser, to do it...

I have to think another way of traping the steam and in order to condense it........

:)

any way, thx for the suggestions........:)

Albert

As far as I can see you're not using a scientific condenser, just a piece of alumnium foil (unless I'm being particularlly stupid today, which could be the case considering how I'm not understanding any of my analysis :)).

Here is another example comming up by another member in my group.......

meltexample1.bmp

The apparatus on top of the beaker with salt water is aluminium shaped thing with a special "mouth" where the evaporate water can drop into the small beaker..................

Will this method work better than the previous method?

Albert

are you trying to say that want to purify sea water so that it`s drinkable, but you can NOT use any Lab equipment?

and by Lab equipment I mean Quickfit condensers glass tubing etc... but the beaker and bunsen is ok. the rest must be just ordinary things anyone could make?

Well guys.......... :embarass:

Did u see the two pictures in my thread?

they are the two methods by my group given, and What I ask is that which one is faster to evaporate and condense the salt water and traping the steam more efficiently?

ANy body?

Albert

An easy way to purify sea water is to be at a place where the temperature is well below freezing. and spray the water over a distance. The first Ice crystals that form and fall close are the least salty and the farthest crystals are concentrated salty slush. Scrape up the fresh crystals and melt them for fresh water. The method has been used successfuly in the past.

Just aman

for my method in post no.9,many people like YT2095 suggest this method would be better than my previous one......

but doubtfully, my chemistry teacher says that it wont work as the heat is also heating the basin........but what I think is, that center would be the hottest, it goes like a convection........When the heat finally evaporate all the water into steam, the steam is still trapped in the aluminium, and cools down along the side, because again the center is the hottest, it goes like a convection.....finally, the water steam is liquid in the basin...........

Any idea on the comparison of my theory and my teacher's quote on the method in reality?

Apreciate for furthur responds....

Albert