Five Years of Me on SFN

Cap'n Refsmmat

As of today, January 4th (well, it's still today here...), I've been a member on SFN for five years.

Wow.

Back when I joined I knew practically nothing about science, hardly understood the conversations on the forum, and of course made about 25 posts per day. (I still hate reading old threads that I posted in. You can tell I was clueless.)

In the time since, I've learned enough that I can actually participate and sound somewhat intelligent (at least I think), become a member of staff, turned 17, and learned how to manage a complex Linux server.

Without the existence of SFN, I would never have learned as much about science or been nearly as interested in it. I've learned a lot from this community, and I hope I can help SFN do the same for others.

Thank you, members and viewers of SFN! You have made me the nerd I am today.

I refuse to believe that there was a time in your life you didn't know a lot about science. :D

I think everyone who has been on SFN for multiple years has gone through quite a bit of mental growth (perhaps excluding the really ancient users who got their high school diplomas around the time Atlantis sunk). For example in 2004 I was just interested in blowing stuff up and the more hazardous aspects of science in general, and now four years later I'm interested in blowing stuff up and the more hazardous aspects of science in general.

Grats on the nickle, and grats on outing yourself on your age. I told you a couple of years ago it was your accomplishments that matter here. Back when you were just 15 and elected Administrator. ;)

We couldna kept the ship runnin s'well without ye, Cap'n. Arrrg.