Water pollution

harmonSmith

Water is essential for the survival of all known forms of life. The human body is anywhere from 55% to 78% water depending on body size. To function properly, the body requires between one and seven liters of water per day to avoid dehydration

All known forms of life depend on water. Because of overpopulation, mass consumption, misuse, and water pollution, the availability of drinking water per capita is inadequate and shrinking as of the year 2006.

40% of America's rivers are too polluted for fishing, swimming, or aquatic life.

Even worse are America's lakes—46% are too polluted for fishing, swimming, or aquatic life.

1.2 trillion gallons of untreated sewage, stormwater, and industrial waste are discharged into US waters annually. The US EPA has warned that sewage levels in rivers could be back to the super-polluted levels of the 1970s by the year 2016.

Asian rivers are the most polluted in the world. They have three times as many bacteria from human waste as the global average and 20 times more lead than rivers in industrialized countries

Serious water pollution incidents increased by 50% in England and Wales last year with farmers responsible for more than a quarter of them, the Environment Agency says.

I made this Thread to increase knowledge about water pollution such as industrial water pollution and to share thoughts about how to prevent it.

So... share your thoughts about preventing it please. I'm curious.

Do you have an overall plan that will work for all pollution? Or do you plan on solving each individual case of pollution? (I'd go for option 2, because different types of pollution require a different solution - this is why it is so hard to clean up the mess we're making).

Would it be possible to revert it back to an acceptable level, or would the process of 'fixation' just stop anymore destruction to the Enviornment?

If it could be reverted back, would Humans need to revert it or would it naturally fix over a series of many years?

I have some ideas. I think the biggest source of water pollution is Industries. Who are releasing large amount of hazardous waste into our water resources. In order to do proper treatment of this waste water consultant like JNB must be contacted. About the waste that are producing through our daily usage. I think ordinary peoples and not a selfish as our bureaucrats. we can control it by spreading knowledge about it. Agriculture pollution is also a major problem. By using proper methods we can control it. Imagine a world for our future generations if it continues. I agree things are better in USA or other European countries but In Asian countries it is worst and since countries is in this world we should also consider them. We are the one who are responsible for destroying our world and we have to make it better. There is no doubt that things can get back to normal as it was before if we want to.

So, you agree that we need to solve each individual case... those consultants can do that. There are also engineering companies that design and build treatment facilities - they probably have the same knowledge as those consultants, except that they also design and build the treatment plant.

I think that the waste streams are actually a great opportunity. In many cases, the pollution is rich in carbohydrates. That means there is energy for us to use. Anaerobic digesters for example can convert even low concentrations of pollution into methane which can be used for power. (Best to combust it directly to generate electricity - it needs an expensive and energy intensive step to remove CO2 before you can use it in the gas-grid for households).

Whether spreading knowledge among the population will help - I don't know. Cities are still littered with garbage, even though everybody knows recycling exists and despite all the trashcans everywhere.

• 3 weeks later...

I live off the hudson river....pcp's of the 70 and GE is just now cleaning it....and only 10%....who does the rest of the cleanup.

My view for years is: have all Colleges take on this task. I think ...not sure but Stevens Tec of Hoboken NJ ....just got a "homeland security grant funds"....im not too sure if it is just for water testing?

All ocean or river "colleges" should have students test water quality daily and report on it to the local and federal gov. We still have issues of dumping, run off and it could be caught immediately. I always believe the children are our future.

We must start somewhere and I believe the most accurate and honest testing would be the students so we wouldnt have to deal with political issues.

• 1 month later...