Banned/suspended users are our #1 headline?

When you look at the main forum index, all the forums are listed.

When you look at the 2nd column, all the most recent posts in the subforums are listed.

The #1 post on the right side is almost always the "banned/suspended users" thread.

I agree that the announcements are on top... but can we please "hide" the banned/suspended users thread? Since there is a lot of banning going on (with all the spammers and trolls), or because few other announcements are made, this is almost always the most recent post. Therefore, it is visible at the top of the main forum index. But the fact that yet another troll was banned is not interesting - it should not receive any attention... even though it's a good job on our mods that these are kicked out.

In addition, I find it a bit negative, and while there is nothing in the world that will discourage a troll or spammer, real newbies who might be a valuable addition might think that we're some kind of police-state-forum in stead of a newbie-friendly forum (all we actually do is call each other names when we disagree, and completely ignore each other's comments, as all good scientists do when they can't win a discussion :D)

I can see your point, our policy of Openness with the community could be a little less in-yer-face :P

I`m sure Admin will reposition it somewhere else a bit latter, after several cups of tea, paperwork signed and counter signed in triplicate, a lengthy debate of the implications, several more cups of tea, addendums made to the original paperwork, signed verification, and then a chat about who`s going to pay for all the Tea ;)

that will at least get it moved on a Trial basis!

As Sayo pointed out to me about another thread I stickied, the most recently posted-to threads stays on top. I don't know if they can change that, but maybe we just need to make more positive announcements.

Thanks for the suggestion, CaptainPanic. :cool:

I bumped the Introduction announcement, so now we don't seem so menacing.

Edited by Phi for All

we could move it from announcements into general discussion, where it'll get bumped off of the 'most recently posted to thread' podium by something else. what with there being a lot of posts to GD 'n'all.

we could move it from announcements into general discussion, where it'll get bumped off of the 'most recently posted to thread' podium by something else. what with there being a lot of posts to GD 'n'all.

That's going to force me to ban users at a much faster rate to keep it on top.

Kidding!

Soooo... it's not going to be stickied anymore? All we have to do is leave it stickied in Announcements (a good place for announcing bans) and just bump the New User Intro thread afterwards.

Viola.

What do mellow timbred full bodied string instruments have to do with anything? ;)
Nothing at all, why do you mention them? Viola is my French teacher.

That would make the New User Intro thread ending up with lots of "bump. bump bump. bump bump bump" and so on, depending on the momentary imagination leap of the current banning moderator.
That reminds me of a night I spent in a Chicago hotel. The "bump. bump bump. bump bump bump" from next door made my imagination leap a lot. Turned out to be the ice machine though.

I guess we could also remove the Announcement section from showing up on the front page.

That reminds me of a night I spent in a Chicago hotel. The "bump. bump bump. bump bump bump" from next door made my imagination leap a lot. Turned out to be the ice machine though.

That's some baaaaad rythm for an ice machine.

I guess we could also remove the Announcement section from showing up on the front page.

But then how would people know it exists?

Soooo... it's not going to be stickied anymore? All we have to do is leave it stickied in Announcements (a good place for announcing bans) and just bump the New User Intro thread afterwards.

Viola.

no reason you couldn't sticky it in GD.

no reason you couldn't sticky it in GD.
Some people don't visit GD much. And Banned Users really is more of an announcement than a discussion. It's a closed thread saying, "Ding dong, the witch is dead! It's safe to read the science sections again!"

I can see your point, our policy of Openness with the community could be a little less in-yer-face :P

I`m sure Admin will reposition it somewhere else a bit latter, after several cups of tea, paperwork signed and counter signed in triplicate, a lengthy debate of the implications, several more cups of tea, addendums made to the original paperwork, signed verification, and then a chat about who`s going to pay for all the Tea ;)

that will at least get it moved on a Trial basis!

Probably a good idea to hide the banned thread.

I can't remember why we even have it. Does anyone really need to know? Most of the time, it's just spammers and trolls.

So we know what kind of people the beast has eaten.

Then again, it acts as a way to clarify who was banned and why.

Edited by Genecks

I can't remember why we even have it. Does anyone really need to know? Most of the time, it's just spammers and trolls.

I thought that spammers weren't announced on the thread? Anyways, it is nice to know when someone who was being a PITA got what was coming to him, or on the other hand why someone you were having an interesting discussion with mysteriously vanished. It makes the moderation process more transparent, which IMO is a good thing.