obesity is a very big problem genetic or hormone problem?

Los Angeles - There is a tiny molecule that exists in the small intestine that sends a signal to the brain that registers the impact of the amount of fat consumed. With the plethora of family and work related holiday parties during this time of year, this little hormone is bound to be working overtime.

Presently, the signal sent from this little hormone does us little more good than keeping us from tripping over our feet to return to the buffet for thirds. However, scientists are attempting to manufacture variations on this family of human hormones (scientific name N-acylphosphatidylethanolamines, or NAPEs) in order to be used as a consistent appetite suppressant in the treament of obesity.

Researchers say that while they are excited about the possibilities of the NAPEs, they are still acting on the side of caution. They are not going to take it to the public until their work on the creation of a viable product is complete. While there is a desparate need for an effective treatment of obesity in today’s population, releasing a drug before it was proven safe and effective would cause more harm than good.

If there were an administerable form of this hormone released to the public before its time that did not work properly, people would only be further discouraged to fight obesity, which would be a detriment rather than a help to the problem. If it were released and had side effects that were not discovered through thorough testing then people could suffer for its use.

Currently tests are being conducted on rats and mice in laboratory settings that are aimed at the discovery of a fat derived signal that could be harnassed to regulate food consumption. One of the sensitive tests used by researchers, the LC tandem mass spectrometry, was responsible for identifying the NAPE group of fat sensing molecules.

When rats and mice were routinely administered NAPEs through a catheter in the jugular, they consumed less, and lost weight. Therefore, it is evident that this small intestine-derived hormone does work in the inhibition of food intake. While the NAPEs do work in the suppression of appetite (therefore decreasing food intake) the drive to feed is a deep and complex human instinct. There are many various factors that contribute to eating disorders. Nonetheless, these research findings on the appetite suppressing hormones of the NAPE are interesting and invigorating. Hopefully medical science will be able to sythesize these molecules released naturally by the gut in order to administer to humans in a supplement form.

Scientists plan to move up the species ladder to see if the NAPEs have the same effects on animals more closely related to humans. If the results are positive, and the NAPEs seem to be safe, human trials could begin shortly after

http://www.ireallyshouldstudy.com/health/2008/11/29/fat-sensing-hormones-might-fight-obesity/

+++++

So it seem some people body burns more fat in-take than others .One person will burn the fat of hamburger and fries faster than the other person?

I thought obesity was a genetic problem.

• 2 weeks later...

+++++

So it seem some people body burns more fat in-take than others .One person will burn the fat of hamburger and fries faster than the other person?

Well, can anyone really gain weight, regardless of his or her genetic makeup, without any food intake?

Sure. I was always the skinny type when I was young, but I could eat with the best of them.

Your genes ultimately control how your body handles the fat.