Can We Perform a Forum Experiment?

jimmydasaint

I just wondered if the Mods could set something up which will enable members of this Forum to participate in an experiment where the results can be displayed online?

I can think of an experiment: all members of the Forum should try to influence the outcome of a coin tossing exercise. Each person tosses a coin in the air twenty times and tries to focus their attention on "Heads" as an outcome each time. The results are then totalled and sent to the Mods for compilation. We can then examine the probability of the outcome and list it as an online experiment. Obviously there will be problems with extenuating factors that would involve the outcome of the experiment but it is very simple.

Any ideas on this, or other Forum experiments?

Well you could run it as a poll and members could submit their results in the form of answering the poll question. Just a thought.

If you have something specific you're welcome to post it as a suggestion. Check out our suggestions forum when you get a chance:

Suggestions Forum

Edited by Pangloss

I just wondered if the Mods could set something up which will enable members of this Forum to participate in an experiment where the results can be displayed online?

I can think of an experiment: all members of the Forum should try to influence the outcome of a coin tossing exercise. Each person tosses a coin in the air twenty times and tries to focus their attention on "Heads" as an outcome each time. The results are then totalled and sent to the Mods for compilation. We can then examine the probability of the outcome and list it as an online experiment. Obviously there will be problems with extenuating factors that would involve the outcome of the experiment but it is very simple.

Any ideas on this, or other Forum experiments?

What if just ONE person (a moderator?), does the experiment (and others can see it by webcam), at a specific time, and forum members try to influence its outcome (even if they don't have a webcam)?

How about if a moderator draws 3 things - not house - as that's obvious, then thinks of these things for 24 hours and we have 24 hours to guess ;) OR maybe we should do some some of online test that tests reflexes or logical thinking, then drink a bit of alcohol (until you're feeling the effects) then repeat the tests and compare results, relaxing and scientific!

How about if a moderator draws 3 things - not house - as that's obvious, then thinks of these things for 24 hours and we have 24 hours to guess ;) OR maybe we should do some some of online test that tests reflexes or logical thinking, then drink a bit of alcohol (until you're feeling the effects) then repeat the tests and compare results, relaxing and scientific!

omgosh. That has to be one of the coolest suggestions I've ever heard!

YT, no worries bud, I'm still broke too, and I don't even have an experiment's worth of data to show from it!