Annoyed

Tom Vose

I received an infraction here, as someone called me a liar.

''Dear Tom Vose,

You have received an infraction at Science Forums, The Original.

Reason: Trolling

-------

keep your lies to yourself, do NOT post them here as Facts!

-------

This infraction is worth 10 point(s) and may result in restricted access until it expires. Serious infractions will never expire.

Original Post:

http://www.scienceforums.net/forum/showthread.php?p=453602

As they exist now, you said. They do exist now, and we can make calculations we couldn't make previously.

All the best,

Science Forums, The Original

______________''

How the hell did i lie?

If we can compute the first (let's say) seventeen prime numbers from using sophisticated quantum computer technology, how is this a lie?

I ask this moderator to retract his statement and apologize to me.

I`ll tell you what then, You support your claim that quantum computers that exist today are performing calculations that we can`t do on regular computers, citing Reliable sources (I`m getting tired of asking this), and I`ll retract the points!

I can`t say fairer than that now can I!?

I`ll tell you what then, You support your claim that quantum computers that exist today are performing calculations that we can`t do on regular computers, citing Reliable sources (I`m getting tired of asking this), and I`ll retract the points!

I can`t say fairer than that now can I!?

Actually, are you not twisting what i said. I never said that normal computers cannot compute answers. I did however point out that quantum computers can do things (like computational processes) in ways that normal computers cannot.

In any case, the infraction should not be taken as merely for one post, but as an infraction for an accumulation of similar offenses.

Ah, the ole excuse thrown out when the parent realizes the kid has a point but they don't want to admit it.

You're grounded then for all that other stuff that I didn't punish you for before...

And I don't see this lie either...

i know we have quantum computers, well, a handful at anyrate, but they are nowhere near powerful enough to run anything like this sort of simulation and they aren't generally found outside quantum computing research labs.

As they exist now, you said. They do exist now, and we can make calculations we couldn't make previously.

Looks to me like his sentence is associated with the charge that quantum computers are "nowhere near powerful enough to run anything like this sort of simulation...." as opposed to the charge that he's comparing quantum computers to 'normal' ones.

Anyway, it's a public thread, so there's my two cents. Looks like Tom's reputation has fueled the kids on the playground to throw rocks at him.

I think "lies" is inaccurate. Misinformation is closer, and we all know how quick we are to jump on inaccuracies so they don't gain tacit approval. As far as I know, Tom Vose has only lied about this account at Bebo not being his.

It's hard to gain trust back after it's been broken, but I, for one, see a bit of a change happening. Tom Vose, if you stay here long enough and get over our initial reactions to your initial stimuli, we all may benefit. Scientific method is a process, not a road map, so don't feel like we are trying to yank you onto tracks that all lead to the same place.

paranoia: if you`d care to read the original infraction, it`s Plural! "lieS, them, and factS", and Does indeed with intent cover the multitude of other instances this has been done by him.

Cap`n is perfectly correct in what he said.

In any case, the infraction should not be taken as merely for one post, but as an infraction for an accumulation of similar offenses.

Offenses, however, that i have paid for, for other infractions. I am being targeted simply, and this infraction was uncalled for, and equally unjustified.

I think "lies" is inaccurate. Misinformation is closer, and we all know how quick we are to jump on inaccuracies so they don't gain tacit approval. As far as I know, Tom Vose has only lied about this account at Bebo not being his.

It's hard to gain trust back after it's been broken, but I, for one, see a bit of a change happening. Tom Vose, if you stay here long enough and get over our initial reactions to your initial stimuli, we all may benefit. Scientific method is a process, not a road map, so don't feel like we are trying to yank you onto tracks that all lead to the same place.

Thank you, and can i clear something up. I never exactly lied about the account either. I am not Tom Vose, i use his account. I am his flat mate, so the bebo page is not mine.

paranoia: if you`d care to read the original infraction, it`s Plural! "lieS, them, and factS", and Does indeed with intent cover the multitude of other instances this has been done by him.

How is he correct, unless of course, the rules have been modified just for me so that i may be punished twice for something?

As i said, i have been punished already, and this attitude of, ''well, since we aren't right this time, you can still suffer for all the past indiscretions,'' is simply unfair, and i am sure it is a breach of the sacred rules.

Thank you, and can i clear something up. I never exactly lied about the account either. I am not Tom Vose, i use his account. I am his flat mate, so the bebo page is not mine.

Whoa! This raises more alarm bells to me than anything else you have said, "Tom". Using your flat mate's account is one thing. Using his name as your own is quite another.

Bullshit. "it wasn't my account!" is the oldest lie on the internet.

Seriously, you've dug this hole yourself by making ludicrous claims, and then getting pissed off when we ask for the same support we would demand of anyone. And now you wonder why we question every word you post?

Mokele

It's not, are you calling me a liar?

You are the one who was in the wrong, and sir, you are the one caught out in error. You have reacted irrationally, and not very professionally at all in your moderating. It is you sir who should be ashamed, for i am not a liar, nor did i lie on the account you claimed i had.

I call for my infraction to be retracted as soon as possible, because this is outragous.

Ok, but there was only the one post listed as reference. If it's plural, then where's the others?

Also, Tom claims he has paid for these previous offenses, so why would they be included in this infraction that's been pluralized? Presuming he's not lying...again, of course.

Tom, I'm working pro bono here dude, so don't sweat the compensation. (especially since I could very well get you banned :doh: of course, to some that would still be for the public good I suppose...)

But you must see as you have Paranoia, that i can't be in the wrong, and have merely been targeted by someone who straight down the line, doesn't like me very much.

Plus, i don't think my posts are all bad. The greater part of them keep their original places, serving their own good.

How is he correct, unless of course, the rules have been modified just for me so that i may be punished twice for something?

oh far from it, things could have been MUCH Worse for you had you been warned Every time for such things!

in fact you were given ONE fixed point penalty for a multitude of offenses, the one listed being simply being the one chosen to execute the procedure, but it could well have been any number of prior instances.

but anyway, tell me something about this "Other Warning" you were given, in particular Why after receiving it you chose to ignore it and carry on???

really Tom, you Are digging quite the hole for yourself here!

Okay, I concede the post the infraction was issued for was not particularly deserving of an infraction by itself. I therefore changed the infraction to have been issued for a different post which required it more.

That does not mean that you should continue to go around posting whatever you think is right without some referencing. All we ask is a link to something that agrees with you.

oh far from it, things could have been MUCH Worse for you had you been warned Every time for such things!

in fact you were given ONE fixed point penalty for a multitude of offenses, the one listed being simply being the one chosen to execute the procedure, but it could well have been any number of prior instances.

but anyway, tell me something about this "Other Warning" you were given, in particular Why after receiving it you chose to ignore it and carry on???

really Tom, you Are digging quite the hole for yourself here!

The infractions i refer to, are the two i recieved concerning my behaviour here at science forums. If i have been in error before in the past, then why so much pus$y-footing around me? Why not just have punished me for other offenses if indeed, it was called for?

The reason why it never, is because i haven't breached any other rule here, apart from two others: One for trolling, the same label you gave my infraction

for, and another, for foul language, which i more or less feel bad about, because i can usually contain myself quite well.

So, the latter here you speak of -- is really a straw man, because unless you just wit up on your behaviour, and admit i never lied, i haven't exactly continued to do anything.

It's not, are you calling me a liar?

Yes. Care to offer some evidence to contradict that?

Oh, wait, you're allergic to evidence. You just prefer spouting random big words and expecting people to act impressed.

I call for my infraction to be retracted as soon as possible, because this is outragous.

How about this: I'll remove one warning point for every time you actually support an argument with evidence.

Mokele

Ok, i am yet to see what this infraction is for, but so much for digging that hole, eh YT?

Not that this is a very admirable victory, but i feel the action of changing it for another post, is really simply to save the reputation of the moderator.

Yes. Care to offer some evidence to contradict that?

Oh, wait, you're allergic to evidence. You just prefer spouting random big words and expecting people to act impressed.

How about this: I'll remove one warning point for every time you actually support an argument with evidence.

Mokele

Ok, how does one offer evidence here... i could give you my house number, and that way you can hear my voice, and then i could also give you Toms' mobile if you want to hear his? Would that be sufficient evidence for his grace?

I would like to know which post i have been infracted for this time.