Weird thought about gravity...

Falkon

So I was thinking.

Let's say that somehow you made it to the exact center of the earth( supposing that this was actually possible and that you weren't crushed by the pressure and that earth was a perfect sphere.)

Would you be "weightless" as there would be nothing pulling you down to earth.

Would the gravitational effect of the outer walls of earth stretch you apart?

If I'm right than wouldn't you weigh less below a certain altitude ( where the gravity of earth is just before it begins to decrease as you move outward...)

I recall this being discussed in multiple earlier threads...

Anyway, your weight does indeed decrease as you approach the center. At the center the net gravitational force is 0, so you'd be weightless. No stretching happens.

this leads to another question , the recipricol.

if i get into my space ship and travel to deep isolated space . and then i jump out.

will i be torn apart due to , near zero vaccuum?

If you try and hold your breath, perhaps, because the gas wants to expand. Solids and liquids have a much smaller tendency to expand under such a small reduction in pressure (only one atmosphere difference)

this leads to another question , the recipricol.

if i get into my space ship and travel to deep isolated space . and then i jump out.

will i be torn apart due to , near zero vaccuum?

It seems to me you would have similar effects to a diver rising to the surface too quickly, decompression sickness (bends). Divers often have many atmospheres of pressure pushing on them and have to resurface slowly enough to allow equalization from inside the body. I would think jumping out of a spaceship would be similar only not as extreme due to less pressure change. Other things like temperature, lack of anything to breathe, and radiation would have far more effect IMO.

Assuming you're either at 37 deg C, or colder (so: not heating up inside), then the vapor pressure of the water inside you is 60 mbar. I think your body can withstand that kind of pressure if it's inside. (I mean that the skin and muscles provide enough pressure in a similar way as a balloon has slightly higher pressure inside than outside - the pressure will not be less than 60 mbar inside, so water will not boil. In addition the vapor pressure is actually lower, because the water is not pure water, but it's inside cells, or in the blood - those have a higher boiling point).

The gas in your lungs will want to force a way out, but probably just through your mouth and nose.

I'd worry more about how to get back into the spaceship after you jumped out and found out you survived. There will be nothing to push against to move back into the direction of your cozy spaceship :)

I do also agree with npts2020's point: the decompression sickness can have an effect. Hadn't thought of that.

So I was thinking.

Let's say that somehow you made it to the exact center of the earth( supposing that this was actually possible and that you weren't crushed by the pressure and that earth was a perfect sphere.)

Would you be "weightless" as there would be nothing pulling you down to earth.

you'd just fall until you couldn't fall no more

ahh no you wouldn't be weightless

Would the gravitational effect of the outer walls of earth stretch you apart?

no you'd just keep falling until something stopped you , rock , molten rock etc. not gravity

If I'm right than wouldn't you weigh less below a certain altitude ( where the gravity of earth is just before it begins to decrease as you move outward...)

hmmm...

North,

Considering what you've said is counter to the previous posts in this thread, you need to share some evidence in support of your position, or, at the very least, some math describing the gravity in the center which supports your claims.

If you did jump out of a spaceship in the vacuum of space with no hope of rescue.

Consider how lucky you have been that life has been so good to you up until this point. If life hasn't been that good to you, which, considering your current situation seems more likely, consider how fortunate you are that it won't be bothering you for much longer.

If you did jump out of a spaceship in the vacuum of space with no hope of rescue.

Consider how lucky you have been that life has been so good to you up until this point. If life hasn't been that good to you, which, considering your current situation seems more likely, consider how fortunate you are that it won't be bothering you for much longer.

But this doesn't answer his question and it's kidna off-topic.

Are these holes not threw the centre?

Could we not just dig a trench then and call it an open hole, or part of the hole is in the atmosphere?

How did they come up with 43 mins?

Do you have a web link? might be easeier...

it doesn't have to go through the center, imagine it was a tunnel covered in magnets so you could levitate the capsule and it was frictionless, any such tunnel travelling between two points on the surface of a spherical earth would have a travel time of 42mins 12 seconds if all the acceleration was provided by gravity.

So threw the centre... How do you have a threw the centre hole that goes to the next town? ;)

No, the path doesn't have to go through the center of the Earth, just on a straight line from town to town.(see attachment).

corridor.jpg