English Class! *shakes fist*

Riogho

Well. I turned my sonnet in, and it crapped itself. Apparently all my words weren't in Iambic Pentameter or... whatever. So I just wrote 14 lines of one syllable words that rhymed talking about how much I hated sonnets.

I liked my first one better :(

You should have just made up some sciencey-sounding word or words. Come on its engilish class. English majors eyes glaze over whenever science comes up. You would have easily gotten away with it. Those with science backgrounds or interest would have just thought it was funny.

Well. I turned my sonnet in, and it crapped itself. Apparently all my words weren't in Iambic Pentameter or... whatever. So I just wrote 14 lines of one syllable words that rhymed talking about how much I hated sonnets.
Writing in Iambic Pentameter is hard enough, with a fixed rhyme scheme it's nigh on impossible, that's an unreasonable task.
You should have just made up some sciencey-sounding word or words. Come on its engilish class. English majors eyes glaze over whenever science comes up.
Have you ever actually seen that happen? I find that anyone who takes a genuine interest in their own subject is quite capable of taking an interest in other people's.
You would have easily gotten away with it. Those with science backgrounds or interest would have just thought it was funny.
What, is there no chance at all that this teacher takes an extremely strong interest in science and knows a lot more about all fields of science than the OP?

I Find I have with you to disagree,

to write this took no time at all you see.

Well yes, okay, I do concede your right.

But composing fourteen lines schemed that tight,

Coherently, or at very least quite,

Would be a task that would keep me up all night

For the work of a mere student writer

Especially, could it not be shite.

OK, I should have cited a source for the one I posted. Does anyone know who wrote it?

Anyway,

"Would be a task that would keep me up all night"

has 11 syllables and making "Especially, could it not be shite." 10 syllables is pushing it.

Some thing like

ess pesh a lee could it not be shite

would give you the right number on average but I don't think you can get away with an average in this case.

Ah, you're right that is 11 syllables, I was being careless. Easily rectified by replacing 'that would' with 'to', although the iambic-ness gets a bit lost there.

"ess-pesh-ee-al-ee could it not be shite" is definitely 10 syllables, although it's further from being iambic pentameter than any other lines.

There was a smart young man name-d the tree

Who was at a good university

His skill claims they were mathamatica

Not rhyming Iambic Pentameter

But look above he can do it, you see?

(OK - Edited - for the same reasons I had to retake my English exams at school - it's probably still wrong, but I no longer care :P - Merry Christmas!)