I'm Back!

Mokele

Hi, everyone! Long time, no see!

Sorry for the nearly two-year hiatus, but as you'll soon hear, I've been quite busy.

Let's see...::Checks last posting time::...March 21, 2007. Well, most of the rest of that year was consumed with the increasing workload of my MS thesis on arboreal snake locomotion, resulting in my first publication in October of that year in a top tier journal (Full pdf at http://jeb.biologists.org/cgi/reprint/210/21/3862 ), describing a new mode of snake locomotion. At the same time, I was making preparations for my wedding, and applying to PhD programs. In May, I completed my MS, and in July I married Gemma (she was here very temporarily a few years ago), and had a lovely honeymoon in Grand Cayman.

More recently, I started my PhD work at Brown University, exploring the mechanics of muscle-tendon systems via frog jumping. It's an amazing group: 6 faculty members, all working on biomechanics of everything from dinosaurs to fish to bats (most universities have only 1 or 2, or frequently none), with the best technology in the field (because it was invented here) - a 3-D, high-speed X-ray video system I'm currently using. On top of everything, this unique group is supported by teaching the medical anatomy lab, with grad students TAing, which means I'm currently taking it, and will get to teach it.

So, what's everyone else been up to?

Mokele

He's alive!

Welcome back to SFN, and congratulations. But of course we'll have to run you through the decontamination chamber to make sure yourdadonapogos' suspicions aren't true.

But either way, it's great to have one of our old regulars back. If you have the time for it, we'd be glad to reinstate you as a moderator or as a resident expert in biology. (Though I'm not sure we get many snake questions here.)