Sasser Virus!

YT2095

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well I must admit, it would be a bit lame for a company to get hit by it, but the average Joe that bought his PC one saturday morning from Tescos with the ambition of learning a little about this here Internetty thingummy, I feel a bit sorry for in all honesty, and sadly it`s going to hit them too and maybe put them off!? :(

[edit[ granted those sites are good too, but the BBC I semi trust as do many others, I`m sure they wouldn`t tell fibs AGAIN :)

The media - even the BBC - don't realise how much harm they are doing by dumbing down this subject.

They use terms interchangeably when they aren't, and just generally give poor advice. There was a guy on the Radio 2 news before who called Sasser a 'gremlin', which it clearly isn't.

oh dear, and I really thought he would have been protected up to the nuts being an Admin and all :(

personaly, I wouldn`t know if I was or not hit by it, this thing runs so slow anyway :(

but I run BlackIce and ZoneAlarm in tandem as well as Norton AV, so I guess I should be safe?

...nothing you can do to avoid getting hit when someone brings it onto the LAN, bypassing the hardware firewall.

I removed it, by hand (only fools use antivirus programs), and downloaded the patch from MS, and it was over with in <5 minutes.

Only people really proud of their computer skills don't use antivirus programs.

Indeed. AV programs don't even catch 100% of active viruses (not ones just sitting there not doing anything), I catch more with my methods that take 5 minutes. As soon as my computer restarted once, I found and deleted the files, and googled for a patch. No more problems.

Some of us have better things to do with our time than find ways of sounding like we have l337 sk1llz.

I have never seen a service do its job better than the Sophos approach does; manually removing viruses and worms after they hit is sheer lunacy. Wait until you get a forced-writer, then we'll see who's a fool.

Some of us have better things to do with our time than find ways of sounding like we have l337 sk1llz.

I have never seen a service do its job better than the Sophos approach does; manually removing viruses and worms after they hit is sheer lunacy. Wait until you get a forced-writer' date=' then we'll see who's a fool.[/quote']

It turns out to be faster to just remove things yourself than have a program scan every file on your system. Plus you have to wait for definition updates, which can be hours after a virus hits.

You heard me you wussy AV program user

Frankly I`m offended!!!

I thought better of you, it wasn`t my fault you got owned, and I didn`t HAVE TO post this thread as way to TRY inform or help others.

but I`m an AV prog user too, so that would also make me just as "wussy" (whatever that means, but I`m sure it`s not good).

I just figured it was a worthwhile "heads up" for y`all.

Seriously, though, not using AV means that it might wipe you out, and then you can't fix it. My AV doesn't even search through my files, it just looks at incoming stuff, taking a lot less time. And for 2 years I haven't had a single virus.

I think fafalone is too proud of his skills.

It's just sad that people rely completely on a commercial, closed-source program by a for-profit company to secure their computers against the various types of nasty programs out there. This week alone I've had to help half a dozen people (only 1 for sasser) get viruses off their computer because their anti-virus programs weren't picking them up.