On scramjets and the ramjet engine.

rodge

I guess not... I'm sure you're not the only one interested in it by the way.

I think the turbine would be in the way if the scramjet would start to operate in its scramjet mode. All flow inside a scramjet is supersonic... and I can imagine that you do not want some turbine blades in the way of a supersonic flow.

Also the combustion process in a scramjet works different.

You could mount both types of engines on a plane, and first use one, then the other...

If you're wondering about a Ramjet, Pratt & Whitney J-58 (used on an SR-71) does just that.

The turboramjet is a hybrid engine that essentially consists of a turbojet mounted inside a ramjet.

http://www.aerospaceweb.org/question/propulsion/q0175.shtml

Good read, check it out.

Edited by spirytus

• 2 weeks later...
I guess not... I'm sure you're not the only one interested in it by the way.

I think the turbine would be in the way if the scramjet would start to operate in its scramjet mode. All flow inside a scramjet is supersonic... and I can imagine that you do not want some turbine blades in the way of a supersonic flow.

Also the combustion process in a scramjet works different.

You could mount both types of engines on a plane, and first use one, then the other...

i meant that they would be seperate. i know how both work and that the blades would get in the way. but would the vessel be too heavy?

That I don't know... but I guess not? How heavy can an engine be? Airplanes can carry quite a lot of stuff (passengers, cargo, fuel, and unfortunately sometimes bombs) - so if you remove some of the stuff, and add an engine, then it does not become more heavy... but you can carry less.

I'd worry more about the differences in aerodynamic design for subsonic flight, low mach numbers and high mach numbers... but I am no expert in aerodynamics.