Neurosciences

Victoria

I'm hoping to move into neuroscience at some point. From what I can gather there's a range of BSc subjects acceptable (including biology, biomedical science) for entrance onto more specific neurology post graduate degrees and training posts.

Does anyone know if this is the case?

I'm in the UK. I'll be starting a biomedical science BSc next year since I currently work in the area, but I want to make sure that I'm not making a bad undergrad choice that will mean having to do a second more relevant BSc before moving into neuroscience.

Thanks in advance!

Speaking for the MPI Göttingen (german, but I expect it to be similar to UK):

Application->Requirements:

Applicants must hold a Bachelor's degree' date=' or equivalent degree, [b']in biology, psychology, medicine, physics, or related fields[/b]. Applications are welcome even if the required degree has not been awarded by the time of application as long as this will be conferred before courses start in October.

Your best bet is browsing a few pages of institutes and see what their requirements are.

Actually from what I gather the British (and US) system are quite different from the German ones.

I don't think that really affects an MPI school that is aimed towards internationality. The course is -naturally- also quite new. I'm not saying there are no differences (there might as well be differences within the UK in which case the answer boils down to "look it up at the institutes you are interested in"). I just would not expect any for this rather broad question.

Or to approach your statement from the other side: How and why would you think differences between British and German university system would have a stronger impact on the question at hand than the differences between UK university A and UK university B?

It is possible to handle the conscience that the human beings of their body using a process of virtual reality have. A proof of the contribution determining of the vision in the body conscience.An experiment carried out starting from a process of virtual reality showed that it was possible to influence the conscience that the men of the limits of their own body have. A team of Swiss researchers indeed succeeded in modifying the way in which the brain perceives and analyzes the body which contains it. The principle of the experiment is simple.

-----------------------------

marium

SEO

I don't think that really affects an MPI school that is aimed towards internationality.

No, that does not really matter. Just for the records, I worked a while in a MPI and held a course for one of those international research school (also for the record, I am writing while having migraine so you'll have to excuse gross errors). From what I have gathered from colleagues in the UK the system is totally different (and it is very different to what I experience in the US).

Basically in Germany you had to have a diploma before you are allowed to work on your phd thesis. Until a few years back there was nothing like a bachelors degree. Only diploma (equivalent to a master) and then the phd.

What they added to become more international is to allow bachelors to work one year and then have an exam, which decides whether they are allowed to pursue the phd or whether they have to get a master first. This can be a bit tricky on the candidate. In some cases the PIs do not want to sponsor the candidate after that point.

What it boils down to is that your actual undergrad choices tend to have less impact in the German system. Especially as a bachelor there is usually little interest in what you have done so far, but rather if you are suitable to work in the given group on a given project. The reason being is that everything up to bachelor's degree tends to be viewed as just covering the basics.

A masters degree holder is more interesting as they usually have already demonstrated some kind of research experience. In that case candidates having done something remotely in that field are preferred. Though even then the criteria might be rather broad. So in case of neurosciences those that had neurobiology, developmental biology and cell biology might be preferred over, say environmental microbiologist graduates. But it also depends on what kind of techniques the candidate is familiar with and what the project in question requires.

Additionally, the phd course in Germany is much more focused in research. In the US (and I think in the UK, too) you have to visit courses as a phd candidate. In Germany only in those international programs do you actually have to attend to (very few) courses and usually work full-time on the phd project. It is less of a school, so to say.

Edited by CharonY

• 2 weeks later...

I'm doing a BMS too, of course I had to do it the hard way :doh:and I'm hoping to do a fast track medical degree afterwards.

In the UK there are three types if BMS and it's a really useful degree to have.

The first is just a standard biomedical science degree, one approved by the IBMS (Institute of biomedical sciences) and the coterminus degree. If you want to get accredited and register with the health professions council (Which you will have to do if you want to practice as a BMS and its worth having anyway) then do the coterminus or one approved by the IBMS

I would say if you want to get into neurology the BMS is a good start. Because neuroscience is a compulsory module in the accredited and coterminus degree, plus you have to have two years lab training (included in the coterminus), which gives you a good basis for lab techniques and experience. Also you don't get the same medical training in a standard biology degree.

I think you've chosen a degree that will prepare you well for what you want to do next. Once you've finished your BSc you can do a Masters, taught masters or a PhD. YOu have plenty of time to research what institute you want to study at next and the requirments and if you are considering a PhD you need to consider funding etc. But you should learn plenty about all that while you are doing your BSc. :D

GOOD LUCK!! :);)

The standard approved BMS is the only option, since it's the only one accepted by the NHS (which is where I am now). Working in the lab is giving me plenty of much needed experience for later on.

I didn't know neuroscience was covered at all in the standard BMS, I'll check that out.

PhD funding comes from the government :D

Thanks for the post. I've actually found where I want to get a studentship and the site lists the professors with their areas of research - so I'll be contacting them :)

hi,

You can apply for neuroscience Bsc's, for example at kings college london. I go there, and have a few friends on the course who say its excellent. It may be a better option, rather than doing biomedical science, which imo is a very wishy washy degree. Personally i feel it is best to focus on one area

The problem with that is being married and in full time employment, moving around the country to find a part time Neuroscience BSc (if such a thing exists) isn't an option.

The BMS and masters seems fine to get onto the Neuroscience Phd, and choosing the BMS through the NHS provides some security should my Phd plans not go ahead as intended.

Thanks for the input :)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not fully aware of foreign matters. But if you haven't done the following, I suggest you try:

1) I suggest you track down what universities you want to attend, record a list of phone numbers, and call their graduate departments.

2) Ask the people there what kind of degrees or pre-requisite knowledge is expected of people who wish to be admitted.

I have met many people who were married and working while obtaining their post-graduate degrees. Sometimes people are paid to get their degrees, thus the need to work is lowered. At other times, tuition is paid by the college or department, thus helping the student once again. I would say people have the most problems when they are married, working, and raising children. The raising children bit tends to make most adults struggle.

Good luck and plan ahead.

• 3 weeks later...