infinity and Beyond!

YT2095

I have a Camera lens (a 300mm) that I use to photograph the moon and other far away things, the "problem" I have is that when I set the lens to Infinity for the Moon for instance it`s a little bit out of focus and I have to turn it back just a little bit to be in perfect focus.

so my question is, when it`s set to infinity (just beyond what is perfect focus for the moon), what IS it focusing on?

what sort of distances am I looking at for that setting be perfect?

Infinity probably means that there is no focus.

A lens has a focal point, and if the object is at the same distance as that object, then it will be a sharp (focussed) picture.

A lens that has the focal point at infinity will never completely focus. I think it means that in the "thin lens formula", the value of S1 is at infinity, meaning that the lines originating from a point on one side of the lens (picture side, S2 side) will never converge, or diverge, but in stead will run perfectly parallel.

it doesn`t make any difference to be honest, I have tried the sun and it`s also more or less the same size as the moon on film when developed also.

I think it needs a star or maybe street lights across a bay when I go on holiday, they`re pretty tiny and might work.

either that or an element in the lens has slipped or it needs recalibrating or something???

I think that it's down to manufacturing tolerance.

Imagine if the slight errors in making the lens meant that, at "infinity" it focussed at say 100 M. You wouldn't be able to get a clear pic of anything further away.

It makes sense to have the lens able to move a bit beyond "infinity" in order to ensure that, even if it gets a bit worn, it will still focus at infinity. You can then rely on the autofocus or your own abillity to sort it out.

The answer to the question is that, for a lens set at infinity it will fucus light that starts out parallel. Set nearer than that it will focus divergent rays.

Set slightly beyond infinity it will focus light that is slightly convergent.

There might be 5mm allowance for using it on an older/newer body with an adaptor ring.

That makes sense, as it`s originally an M42 mount, and has an M42 to Pentax K mount adapter on it.

I`ll have to try it on my Praktica SLR without the adapter and see what that does, Cheers ;)