Homemade Distilation Apparatus

hydraliskdragon

I obtained a 3.5 feet long flint glass tube and an erlenmeyer flask to use as a distillation apparatus.

IMG_0121.jpg

The Teflon tape wraps the rubber stopper since that distilling acid's can dissolve the rubber.

I used my LPG (Liquid Propane Torch) to bend the flint glass tube while blowing into it sightly to avoid closure of the tube and not too hard as to pop open the tube.

I have yet to set up a proper condenser unit on my apparatus but will be working on it soon.

yeah, distilling peroxide in that would probably be a bad idea.

Try with something simpler, plant material maybe, it's fun.

How will you cool the condensing pipe, put some wet towel on it?

edit; I missed your last sentence, so you're making a proper condenser? Out of what?

cold fingers are used mainly for sublimations not distillations, you should go with a long tube from one flask or test tube to another, dont try cold finger unless your purifying iodine or high temp distills(sulfur/sodium) which are not common for home chemists to do(at least sulfur and sodium)

this is a good article on cold fingers: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cold_finger